Questions about Mothers Milk Tea.

I have questions about Mothers Milk Tea.

*How will I know when its working?
*Will there be any discomfort or any wierd sensations in my breasts?
*How often should I drink it?
*How soon before pumping should I drink it?
*Can I add anything to it if it tastes wierd to me?. Like honey, or lemon?
*Is the increase in production noticable?
*If i'm only getting colostrum right now, will the tea help get milk flowing?

I think thats it... Any help would be appreciated. I tried calling a LLL Consultant, No answer.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I swear by Mother's Milk Tea. The longer you steep it, the more effect it will have. I usually add honey and drink it after it has cooled to barely warm. I drink it in a few gulps twice a day and I notice within 24 hours a major increase in production. I make a lot of milk anyway, so that's probably why I notice it so quickly. Make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day and eat plenty of food also. No dieting, you're breastfeeding. Don't give up trying with your little one either, but definitely don't force it. I hope that helps.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:54 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I can't really answer any of your questions bc unfortunately it didn't work at all for me. Best of luck though! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:48 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I think it's a little early to be trying to increase your supply isn't it? Just give your body a little time. I'd try calling the LLL again until you get an answer from them.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:49 PM on May. 11, 2010

• No its not to early. My dd is 6 months today. I breastfed for 1 week and due to lack of education of the breastfeeding process I became discouraged and gave up. My supply is almost non existant. DD will NOT latch on and pumping only get me colostrum, and that only forms on the surface of my nipple and stops. Yes I am going to need to do something more than just pump and cross my fingers. I will try again but there are only 2 out here in my area and one in away on vacation. I have left messages with the other and she does not return my calls.
    Anonymous

• *How will I know when its working?* Likely WON'T...only sign of low supply is low dipe count.

*Will there be any discomfort or any wierd sensations in my breasts?* Not necessarily. Some moms notice that, many don't.

*How often should I drink it?* Per the box.

*How soon before pumping should I drink it?* Doesn't matter.

*Can I add anything to it if it tastes wierd to me?. Like honey, or lemon?* Whatever you want.

*Is the increase in production noticable? If you mean,,,will you pump eight ounces? No. Two ounces is normal MAX output.

*If i'm only getting colostrum right now, will the tea help get milk flowing? No. Onbly time does that.

Make sure you're trying to treat a real problem. Dipes are the ONLY indicator. One change per day of life in the first week, 6-8 thereafter. If you're getting that, the tea really won't do anything for you.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group...we'll ta

Answer by gdiamante at 7:44 PM on May. 11, 2010

• ...we'll see what's going on. 90 percent of moms who think they need galactagogues actually do NOT and would be fine if they left things alone. **smile8*

Answer by gdiamante at 7:45 PM on May. 11, 2010

• THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 2003 states: “Many mothers try to boost their milk supply by drinking herbal teas, but the dose cannot be as easily controlled as capsules or tinctures, so the results will be inconsistent. Fenugreek (three capsules three times per day can be taken alone or with blessed thistle (three capsules three times per day). Experience indicates that it takes 24-72 hours to see an increase in milk supply once the herbs are started in the correct doses. Fenugreek is listed in the US as a Generally Recognized as Safe herbal.”

For more information on using herbs to increase your supply go to: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbal_galactagogue.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:07 PM on May. 11, 2010

• "No its not to early. My dd is 6 months today. I breastfed for 1 week and due to lack of education of the breastfeeding process I became discouraged and gave up. My supply is almost non existant. DD will NOT latch on and pumping only get me colostrum,"

Ooh, I hadn't seen this! That's not colostrum. That's MILK! Colostrum is only made in that first postpartum week; the hormones have changed. It's not much...but it's milk! YOU ARE MAKING MILK!!!!

The tea will do NOTHING without frequent pumping. Every two hours, around the clock.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/1153945/HOW_TO_INCREASE_SUPPLY

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/10273856/_VIDEO_HOW_TO_INCREASE_YOUR_MILK_SUPPLY

Every trick known to woman to build up your supply. You've already kickstarted it.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:46 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Brewers Yeast tablets worked much better for me.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 PM on May. 11, 2010