At what age do you think it's appropriate to start disciplining or reprimanding your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on May. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• redirection can start as soon as the child crawls, time-outs only work for kids who can stop to think about what they did between 2-3 yr old, spanking should always be a last resort but IMO should never start before 2 yr old.. grounding I feel is effective around age 6-18 yr old.. it depends on if the child is developmentally wear they should be or not.
    btw I'm a mom of four 11,7, 3, & 10 months.. I also just to work in daycare so I have a lot of experience & some college education.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 6:35 PM on May. 11, 2010

• 9 months
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:48 PM on May. 11, 2010

• When they can understand what you are saying....when they understand and remember. The age depends on the child.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:52 PM on May. 11, 2010

• The moment you bring them home from the hospital! In other words, from the "get go!" You cannot put an age on discipline. Some kids are advanced fro their ages, others are not. It should be on a "case by case" basis, but whatever it is and whenever you choose to start, you must be fair and consistent--from the very first infraction--if you want to be effective in your discipline, that is!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:53 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I guess once they start getting mobile & crawling.... even then its mainly light discipline or just pointing them in a better direction..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:13 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Actual discipline? Not until after a year, closer to 18 months. Until then they just don't have the capacity to understand right and wrong. When they're younger than that, it's okay to redirect them, but to actually discipline them where you reprimand them or they get in trouble? No, not until at least 18 months.
    Anonymous

• I AGREE WITH YOU LORIKEET,!!
    Anonymous

• I'd say whenever they're able to understand that what they're doing is wrong or at least that you're telling them it's wrong. Before then is cruel. If they don't understand what they're doing in the first place, it's very unlikely that they'll understand that you're telling them that they shouldn't be doing it. The age depends on the child. Whenever thy can understand and learn from it is the right time.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:25 PM on May. 11, 2010

• kids usually out grow time outs around nine
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 6:45 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Why not teach them the right way from the start instead of allowing it to get to the point of punishment? It's a whole lot easier.
    Anonymous