Have you ever stopped drinking sodas?

I am seriously addicted to coke, i need the caffeine to keep me from getting headaches. Im trying to stop and my head is hurting me. I dont want to take medicine for it cuz i know its just my bodys response to a lack of caffeine, but how did you do it? How long until the headaches stop? Do you treat yourself to one every once in a while?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Health

• Yes, I quit (and my arthritis got better!!)

I replaced the soda with coffee, and then 1/2 caf coffee.

Yes, I occasionally have a soda while out, but I never buy them for at home any more. If they aren't here I won't be tempted.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:19 PM on May. 11, 2010

• my kids & me used to drink pop once a week now we drink only on special occasions
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 6:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

• At one point in a time, I hadn't had a soda for three years. Then I got severely addicted to caffeine when I went into the Navy (we're talking two pots of coffee and five or six 20 oz sodas a day). I quit cold turkey too, and it was hard. I did take Tylenol for the headaches, and it took a couple weeks for them to die down. It sucks for a while, but I felt so much better after!
    Anonymous

• I haven't had more the one every few months (if that) for about 10 years now. I never buy soda but I might have one occasionally at a BBQ or something when there's nothing else to drink. As far as the caffine, I'd try getting it from coffee (black if you can) and then cutting the amount back a little at a time.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:51 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Yes but it was NOT easy. It has a lot of caffeine in it so that's causing the headaches. I switched to green tea so I got the caffeine but it's not as much. It took months for the soft drink addiction to let me go.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:23 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Cut down a little bit everyday, then stop! The headaches usually arent so bad if you wean yourself off! :) My hubby quit drinking pop and he lost 10 lbs right away- all he drinks is water!
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 9:11 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I rarely drink soda.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I have. There are caffeine pills you can buy to stem the headaches for a while. At least they don't have all the calories and junk.
    Anonymous

• The caffeine itself is not all....you are likely addicted to sugar now too so cutting that out will also cause headaches. Try black iced tea with no sweetener or black coffee for awhile.
    If you need another reason, people who drink two cokes a day have a DOUBLED risk for diabetes. Not to mention when I cut out pop years ago (I didnt drink all that much to begin with either, maybe 2 a week) I lost 10 pounds in a month. That was the only change I made!
    I now drink soda on special occasions but about once a month, if even that. I can usually only drink half of one because the sugar makes me sick to my stomach.
    Good Luck!!!!! You will feel soooooo much better when you kick the coke! :)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:39 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Cut back SLOWLY. Cut out one or two sodas a day until your body gets used to that. Then reduce by another one or two and so on. Same as losing weight. If you go slow and make it a lifestyle change, you're much more likely to stick with the program, so to speak.
    Another reason, if you need one, to ditch the sodas is loss of bone density. The acids in sodas prevent your body from storing calcium in your bones and some acids found in sodas actually leech calcium away from your bones. So if you want strong bones into your later years, ditch the sodas now!
    I have sodas occasionally, as a treat, but not very often. They make more thirsty instead of satiating and I don't like that. I always feel like I need a good stiff drink of water to get rid of the sugary film left behind.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:56 AM on May. 12, 2010