Petfinder.com Question

Anyone ever used this site to adopt a pet? The adoption fee is more than adopting a purebred puppy. I realize that they have to find a way to recoup some of their expenses but C'mon! They are making it easier and cheaper for people to buy a purebred pup of their newspaper classified ads!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Pets

• The site is made up of thousands of shelters and rescues so the adoption fee varies greatly depending on the rescue and the area you live in. Most rescues and shelters adopt out their pets already spayed or neutered and up to date on shots, the fee has to cover this as well as food, and other necessities with the pet or other pets, many no kill rescues will pay a lot of money to get a dog healthy, surgireys, medications, etc. So while the pet you're adopting may not have needed extra help they have to cover the costs of those that do.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:33 PM on May. 11, 2010

• surgeries lol
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:35 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Thanks Blueliner, I get all that I just freaked when I saw $375 for a 3 year old pug with allergies.

OP
    Anonymous

• My kids just got a great cattle dog, about 10 months old,  off of a link from petfinder. They spent about $175 on the adoption fee.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 6:40 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Yeah, the site itself has nothing to do with the amount rescues decide to charge. Some breeds can fetch more money so they charge more for them so that they can cover the costs of other dogs too. And for reasons I can't understand (no offence lol) pugs are popular dogs lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:42 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I've adopted 2x from Petfinder. The adoption fees were different because I adopted from 2 different rescues. I think I paid $100 for one dog and $200 for the other. Both were mixes. The higher fee dog came fixed and vaccinated.

If you're adopting a dog with health issues, the adoption fee is to cover the high cost of health care the rescue has already paid out.

Little dogs tend to have higher fees than XL puppies.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:26 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I used petfinder to find my dog. It was $100 to adopt from the SPCA. However, I have adopted dogs from rescues before and it costs more because those groups don't always have on-site resources like vets and volunteers.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:06 PM on May. 11, 2010

• wow $375 is a bit extreme. yeah i agree with you i always think to myself if they really want to find homes for these pets then why do they charge so much. although i can see how they rack up money for all these pets and i know they don't profit at all even with all the sell of these animals but i sometimes think if they would drop their fees they wouldn't have them so long and the expense to keep would be shorter and lessened. i wanted to adopt a boxer and when i contacted our boxer rescue that i found through petfinder none of their dogs was less then $250 and when i would see boxers at the pound the boxer rescue would come take them from there and then turn around and adopt them out. what the heck, i can't adopt a boxer from my local shelter and yet this rescue picks them up saying their saving them but seem to get them and do a turn around. i just don't get it. good luck though
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:15 PM on May. 12, 2010