Homework Help?

How long do you let your child(ren) sit with homework if they are not doing it?
What consequences do you use if your child(ren) give you a hard time about doing homework?
I'm dealing with a I can't do it, I don't know it, screaming, yelling, fits, pounding the table.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on May. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my daughter gets home from school, she has 1/2 hour of snack/downtime. We have a set place for homework (the dining room table), with pens, pencils, paper, calculator, etc. She sits at the table until her homework is completed; she is allowed a dinner break, if necessary.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:34 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I won't let mine just sit. I look over the assignment with them and ask if they have any questions, so I can offer assistance if need be. If they then refuse to do it, they may leave the table, but they may not watch TV, play on the computer, talk on the phone, etc etc until their hw is done.

Anonymous

• YOU TELL HIM OR HER YOU DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS.
    Anonymous

• My son takes forever to do his homework, and sometimes he requires supervision the entire time. He is 12 now and it is a little better, but getting the work done is genuinely hard for him. I have never had him leave the table....He has to do all of his homework. If he needs help, I do give him help but I have him do as much as he can himself.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:15 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Well my son is in 1st grade. We have a routine as to when we do homework. He comes home has a snack then homework time. I help him with directions if needed to be sure he understands. he does the work and I check it. If he does not understand it I simply reword it without giving him the answers. That helps. Sometimes we take a break before we do the nightly spelling test but he really does well with staying in task he can do his work kinda slow but he is never just sitting. he is usually singing or attempting to multi task!
    Anonymous

• my SD is 9.5 she is the oldest. SS is 6 and finishing kindergarten. so he has just started having homework (finally).

we do homework as soon as we get off the bus. i sit with SD while she does it, look it over, and help her. i give her spelling tests. i listen to her read, time it, and sign off on it. SS goes through popcorn (sight) words, writes 10 of the ones he knows to test spelling, and reads a short book. I am with them the whole time. they don't get to do anything until homework is done. most of the time they do snack a little during homework, but they know homework must get done. we are done within an hour generally shorter.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:54 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Well things are not going well I tried making him sit there and last night it was 2 1/2 hours tonite over 2 hours.
    Anonymous