What would you have done? Smoking question.

My friend smokes but she knows I don't allow it around my son. I was at her house a week ago and she lit one up in the kitchen and said can I smoke around him? I said no and took him in the other room. I didn't know what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• if i was you i would have taken my son and left, she knew that you dident allow smoking around him but she lit it up anyways, i find that very disrespectful!
    Anonymous

• It would be different if it were your house, but it's not.. It's hers.. She can do what she likes in her own home, just like you can in yours..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 6:56 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I think what you did was fine. If you dont want it around your son, you dont want it around your son.
    Anonymous

• You did about what I would have done, but more than likely I would have just left.

That was pretty rude of her, did she still light up after you said no?

People who smoke have NO IDEA how bad it smells to us non smokers.
    Anonymous

• It's HER house, there isn't anything you can do... If you don't like what she does in her own house, then maybe you shouldn't be there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:57 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I think she's free to do as she pleases in her home. If I had a friend who smoked inside the house I'd probably only bring my son there for out door picnics and meet her elsewhere as much as possible. I think it's rude to tell a person what to do in their own home. That doesn't mean you have to just let your kid sit in a smoke cloud though, take the child outside or into another room. Just know that just because the cigarette is out doesn't mean the air is clear.

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:59 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It was her house, so yeah she can smoke in it. But it would have been nice if she would have not lit up right in front of your kid. Nice and respectful. You were okay to leave the room.
    Anonymous

• Even though it is her house and yes she can do whatever she wants in it...she couldve out of respect for you and out of caring for your son shouldve either waited or went outside and smoked,I wouldn't be friends with someone who thinks its ok to smoke cigarettes around a child anyway
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 7:01 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It's her house, so she can do as she pleases. It was fine of you to go into the other room, but don't expect people to act different in their own home than they usually do just because you're there. If it were me, and I smoked (which I don't), I personally wouldn't have lit a cigarette around your son, but not everyone is courteous.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:02 PM on May. 11, 2010

• To me, The only time you can say. NO SMOKING AROUND MY SON, is when you are in your own home or car. If you are in public or in some one elses house or car, you can not say that.
    If you do not want people smoking around you kids. Stay home.

Answer by louise2 at 7:04 PM on May. 11, 2010