ok, so i am 6 weeks prego right now,but this morning i started bleeding.it hasnt been much all day, but its more than spotting and less than my usual period.its strictly just blood and nothing else. i know that most moms have a "pregnancy period" thats lighter and shorter than usual, but this is really hurting, about as much as a normal period. is this type of bleeding normal during the first part of a pregnancy? especially in a younger woman?

i need to know if when you bleed during pregnancy whether or not its supposed to hurt real bad like a normal period...

MammaHahn

Asked by MammaHahn at 7:36 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If the blood is red and not brownish, it does sound suspiciously like the beginning of a miscarraige, BUT that doesn't mean that's what's happening. I had bleeding like that and the bad, period-like cramping with my daughter. I bled for 4 weeks, just like you are describing and carried her full term. A LOT of moms bleed in the first trimester like this and go on to carry healthy babies.

So, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Try to send positive vibes to your baby as much as you can and know that if this does end sadly, that one miscarriage doesn't mean you will have another (most women don't).

I hope everything turns out well for you! *hugs* I know how this feels!

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:56 PM on May. 11, 2010

• You need to go to the doctor. Sounds like a miscarriage to me.

Answer by louise2 at 7:44 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It sounds very much like you could be miscarrying. I'd get to the doctor. I never had any bleeding at all with either of my kids, not even spotting during implantation.
    Anonymous

• I'd guess your body is trying to miscarry. In a typical miscarriage a doctor isn't going to do anything, just tell you to go home and take it easy, and come back if anything on their "bad list" is going on. You won't truly need a doctor unless you hemmorage or don't pass the baby. But what you're feeling doesn't sound normal. Call your hospital and ask, or call your doctor or OB first thing in the morning and ask.
    Anonymous

• I had the same thing happen- I went to the ER right away, after HOURS we finally did an ultrasound-he was fine but I ended up with a high risk Dr (but I would have anyway because of baby #1) I would definitely go to the Er ASAP, especially if in pain(I did cramp)
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 7:55 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It could also be an ectopic pregnancy. Which is much more of a problem then miscarriage and the sooner you catch it the better. Id get check ASAP or go to the ER.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 8:03 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Thanks for answering everyone. and it has been reddish brown all day, kinda like how most periods start out, but like i said its just been blood and nothing else coming out. im still getting all the symptoms i got before, especially being tired. im actually more tired today than i have been in the past 6 weeks. so thanks again, im hoping its just what most women get with their pregnancy.
    MammaHahn

Answer by MammaHahn at 9:04 PM on May. 11, 2010

• go to the doctor.
    mimi210

Answer by mimi210 at 1:01 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Go to the doctor ASAP. This happened to me at 5 weeks, and I had a miscarriage. Hopefully it turns out to be normal for you, but you need to go get it checked out, just in case. {{HUGS}}.
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 9:27 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Ladies, the doctors can do NOTHING but surgery for a miscarriage, and the vast majority of women wil miscarry just fine without a D&C. No reason to go in for a suspected miscarriage.

Jessran, I have had an ectopic pregnancy and you don't bleed for days without having significant pain. If you start bleeding from ectopic it's because it's damaging your tube and making it bleed. And trust me, you can feel it lol. There's no need to jump to the conclusion of an ectopic pregnancy when there is a 1.1% chance of this mom having one. Most bleeding during the first trimester is either just normal pregnancy bleeding or a miscarriage and NOT an ectopic.

Going in to the ER is going to get this mom nowhere. They'll draw some blood, tell her "Yep, you're pregnant", do a pelvic exam, make her wait 4 hours for gods know what and send her home on pelvic rest.... with a bill for $1000. Not worth it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:28 AM on May. 12, 2010