Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how? Parents of disabled children

My daughter is profoundly deaf and i'm just turning 18 thursday so... i'm young and this is my first child n she is so hard to deal with. I get irritated by her n i yell at her n sometimes i just feel like i'm going crazy. I love her so much but i also know she needs help n i can't give it to her right now but i don't want her to go to a boarding school though.

Is this normal? Do you ever get like this? Would you send your child to a school like that?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Answers (12)
  • How old is she? Have you been working on sign language with her? I'd guess she's extremely frustrated too, with you not knowing what she wants if she's non-verbal. More details would be very helpful before giving much advice though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • Let me tell you, she is frustrated too. She knows that she is making you frustrated but she cant understand all the way.

    My dd is autistic and she has been in therapy since she was 18 months old. CALL YOUR PEDIATRICIAN. THERE ARE FREE YES I SAID FREE therapies that can help you and her. Just ask. I really cant believe they havent offered them to you already. They are usually state or federally funded and cost you nothing!

    Go find out some info for your dd, you will both be happy you did!

    I know you are exhausted! Reach out! Your dd is worth finding out ;)

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • i have a autistic child. and some times it can be very stressful. my son talks but also isnt very verbal, some times i cant tell what he wants. its like a guessing game. try different things to try and fiqure it out. or try to defer to something she would be interested.

    Answer by greenegurls at 8:45 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • She will be 2 christmas eve. I don't know any sign language yet n she is not speaking at all she doesn't know her name but she does hum n it drives me crazii

    Answer by MRS.BEDFORD09 at 8:54 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • where do u live?

    Answer by greenegurls at 8:54 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • I live in burke county, Georgia

    Answer by MRS.BEDFORD09 at 8:57 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • There is respite care available for parents of special needs children. I live in NC and I'm not sure what the program is called in Georgia, but they would be able to send someone to your house free of charge to allow you some time away. My oldest has autism and was completely nonverbal until he was 5, and even now at 12 he has limited speech. My best advice would be for you to call your local special needs organization (autism society is the only one I know) and ask about any respite care programs in the area. Also - is she getting early intervention? She should be getting some free therapy from the state/county that could help her (and you) learn sign language to give her an outlet to express herself.
    But yes - what you are feeling is very normal! I felt that a lot when my 12 year old was young, I just didn't know what to do with him or how to help him. Good luck - hope you get some help soon!

    Answer by missanc at 9:25 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • She's deaf. She can't hear you. She doesn't know about this talking thing - so of course she's not speaking. She doesn't hear you. She has no idea she's humming, making sounds, she has no idea she's driving you crazy. You need to talk to her doctor ASAP and get therapies going - first things first you need to work on sign language - which you'll need help with. It's something you should have been doing since she was in infant - life would be so much different if you had. It's not your fault though, it sounds like no one has ever mentioned the options you have for therapies & all that other help. Call your doctor, call your county, call the public school even - a lot of the available help is through the public school system. Do it NOW (well, first thing in the morning) and get the ball rolling NOW. You are your child's biggest advocate - if you don't seek help, you won't get it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • Look up early invention specialists in your area, or a pediatric rehab center. I second 9:35 anon- it's not your fault, but begin pushing. If her doctor doesn't help, ask for a second opinion. I can't imagine a pediatrician NOT offering these options to you. Also contact the Intermediate unit for your county (it's the educational group that provides services to the public and private schools in your area). Our local IU has a hearing impared teacher who gives services. Your daughter is entitled to a FREE public education to meet her needs- you just need to find out what those needs are right now. I found a good resource to begin with -

    Answer by musichollie at 10:21 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • call your 'home' school district. The district you live in. They should help you in the right direction. Good Luck and she is just as frustrated as you but in a different way.

    Answer by vickwu at 11:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.