pubic high school student starting home school in texas

if my daughter the is a jr in high school start home school for her sr year does she just have to do her sr year or does she have to start over? we live in texas

twinsnseptember

Asked by twinsnseptember at 8:36 PM on May. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Start over with what? High school period? No, if she just has her senior year that's all she has to do. But make sure you know everything she needs. What she'll need to do is take her GED test after her senior year schooling is done, to get her GED. She won't get her normal high school diploma like if she stayed in public school for the last year, she'll get her GED if she passes that test.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if that is true anon. In some states you can get a diploma from home school organizations. It is the same as any high school diploma. Homeschoolers are not automatically relegated to a GED.

Anonymous

• I just noticed your title...you misspelled a word...a funny one...*snicker*
    Anonymous

• Look @ HSLDA site. They have a lot of useful info regarding homeschool laws, diplomas, homeschoolers and college, etc. You do not have to start high school over. Also homeschooler in many states can issue their own diplomas. I know if we continue to homeschool through high school that I would just make a diploma for our children.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:10 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I agree with this!
    Answered at 9:10 PM on May. 11, 2010 by: SAHMinIL2
    Look @ HSLDA site. They have a lot of useful info regarding homeschool laws, diplomas, homeschoolers and college, etc. You do not have to start high school over. Also homeschooler in many states can issue their own diplomas. I know if we continue to homeschool through high school that I would just make a diploma for our children.
    usmom3

Answer by usmom3 at 10:27 PM on May. 11, 2010

• They might get issued a diploma, but check with the colleges the child is wanting to attend to find out if the will accept this diploma or will require a GED. Some colleges will only accept diplomas from ACCREDITED public or private schools and not any from home schools.
    Anonymous

• According to the Texas state laws regarding homeschooling,  it sounds like you should be fine.  Texas considers completion of a non-traditional secondary education to be equivalent to public school graduation and homeschooled students cannot be discriminated against when it comes to Texas colleges.  Homeschools can legally operate as private schools in Texas.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:46 PM on May. 11, 2010