Quitting his job to work on our marriage.. what do you say?

Now, don't be confused... he isn't going to be jobless! But he is working full time and part time right now (64 hours per week, 24 of those at night, 40 retail with an unpredictable schedule). Hubby has a history of being emotionally abusive to me and yesterday was the last straw. We discussed separating. He knows he does it. He doesn't like that he does it, but he does. He has anger and resentment issues from being emotionally abused by his mother and many MANY other childhood issues to work through. He doesn't want to be this way for our son's example, and I won't give up without a fight. So we decided that he would quit his retail job and work for a friend who keep begging him to work for him that will have more reliable and flexible hours. HE NEEDS THERAPY and needs a consistent schedule. If it digs into our proverbial wallet for him to stop being abusive, so be it. we know God will take care of us!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Sounds like a couple who is willing to sacrifice to make the marriage succeed. This is a rare find these days!

Support him in this decision, see the therapy you talked about, (I would suggest family therapy, not just for him) and work this thing out, your child deserves parents who stuck it out, even when it got hard!

Good luck, I hope this works for you :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:55 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I say he is trying to make an effort to be a better husband and father, which is more than most guys do in the same situation. Good for y'all! I hope everything turns out like you hope! I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 8:56 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Sounds like you found the right solution.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:56 PM on May. 11, 2010

• well you can always work too. often stress creates alot of conflict. I think its great that he is doing this to work on your guys relationship.
    Anonymous

• I say good for you. No one's marriage is perfect, but it's encouraging to know there are couples who are willing to work for it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:00 PM on May. 11, 2010

• You solved your own problem.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:14 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Good choice, and good luck~!
    Anonymous

• If he really meant all that he said..he's a keeper. I've never heard a man get that humble. And yes, God will bless you for doing what is necessary to work it out.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 10:30 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I agree with mom2twobabes. She hit it on the head. Best of luck to you all.
    kimmy1972

Answer by kimmy1972 at 10:38 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Yep, agree with the first post.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 1:03 PM on May. 12, 2010