What do you do with toddlers all day?!!?

ive got a 15 month old daughter and i just realized ive been letting her watch tv almost all day on days we are home. every time i get up to do something, i cant think of anything but going outside-which we do often. but i feel so stupid not knowing what to do with my own daughter all day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im the same way! I realized a few months ago that all my boys were doing. We go to the park, go to the lake and feed the ducks, play in the front and back yard, have arts and crafts (last week we painted bird houses for grammy for mothers day) There are LOTS of things you can do. Your not stupid! It took me a while to figure out things to do too. Here is a website for toddler arts and crafts. http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/crafts-by-age/toddler-crafts/ Good Luck!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 9:00 PM on May. 11, 2010

• We have 2 boys that are 13 months apart, I ran around after them all day, they played, ate, played some more, oh and then played some more, ate again, had baths, then to bed.. No time for TV when they were toddlers....Turn off the TV, or better yet unplug it, tell them it's broke and play with your LO's..........
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:01 PM on May. 11, 2010

• MrsLeftlane...when you say "play" , she wants to know what you do to "play"???? Be more specific and I'm sure her TV will be off.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 9:03 PM on May. 11, 2010

• join a playgroup (try meetup.com or one through churches), play music and dance, color, blow bubbles- that's a huge one- go to various parks, see if you have a children's museum or zoo in your area...heck go to your town website and see what events are on the calendar. many will have a municiple band concert and several summer events. if you have a civic or community center, also check them out. take walks, push her on her tricycle, read, stack things, plant flowers, share chores, look for airplanes, chalk, race, teach her songs, do puzzles...that's all i can think of right now. I run a playgroup so its my job to think of things for 2 y/os to do. but don't feel bad, DD has been getting extra tv time in with me being 8 months pregnant! I hate tv but I hate being exhausted, too!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:05 PM on May. 11, 2010

• This is sad because I have an almost 2 yo that I let run in and out of my living room for most of the day. The t.v. is on and mostly background noise. I work from home, and when things slow down for me she helps put the laundry in the basket, she sweeps the kitchen with me, she helps put the folded clothes away, she helps vacuum, we play outside and tomorrow we are going to go feed the ducks and we also go to the library for story time once a week. There are so many things you can do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:08 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I struggle with this too... I like to get out of the house, but it's easy to get into a rut of not doing much... And I live in Phoenix, AZ, where the heat will soon be upon us and going outside much will be a challenge. While it is still nice out, we like to go to the Zoo. The unlimited pass was a bit of an investment, but it has definitely paid off so far, and our zoo here is very nice. I'm thinking when it gets hot I may try out the Mall play areas. I hear of a lot of mommies doing that as an outing... As for playing,
    I let her lead that... She really likes her musical toys and is just learning about coloring...
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 9:15 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I should also add that the most basic thing she loves is when I'm cooking in the kitchen, I give her a wooden spoon and some pots and lids! She LOVES it! And its pretty cute watching her see which lids fit which pots...
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 9:17 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My daughter loves Storytime.. go to your local library and see what they have to offer.
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 9:45 PM on May. 11, 2010

• We spend a lot of time inside (cold rainy or snowy. . . ick) and we always had the TV on until I read a book about "unplugging or kids." I've been working on changing my ways. We still watch some cartoons but now we build with blocks (towers with alphabet blocks or lots of stuff with mega blocks) dance to music (digital music offered by my cable co.) use pans and bowl and cans to play music (buy earplugs) play doh, finger paints, cooking (no bake cookies or pizza). Plan play dates with the many kids in our neighborhood.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:51 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I struggle with this too! When there is so much to do it is always so easy to just turn on the T.V. so you can get soemthing done! Now I only let him watch 2-3 cartoons and then the rest of the day is him helping me. I give him a clean sponge and hehelps me "clean". He has his own broom. We pick up his toys before his nap and before bed. He always helps me clean the bathtub before his bath. We have story time everyday and then quiet time where I read and he sits beside me with a book or coloring book. When they are little they LOVE to help us! And plus if they get used to helping us now they will be more willing to help when they get older! And this might be cruel but after his bath and after I run him down with lotion and the jammies are on he gives me a pedicure! He "does mama nails", "rubba lotion" on my tired aching feet and even puts my socks back on for me.
    I hope one day my Daughter in law appriciates the "training"!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on May. 12, 2010