when is the right time to introduce a child to a toddler bed. my son is going to be two in august

greenegurls

Asked by greenegurls at 9:08 PM on May. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is going to be 2 in August also. He's been in his toddler bed since January. He climbed out of his crib one night and a friend of mine told me that her brother is special needs because of a bad fall out of the crib so that kind of put a fire under my butt about it! He does really well with it.

I'd say anytime that you and he are ready at this point. You could do it tomorrow, or you could wait until he's older. It's totally up to you. If he's climbing out of his crib, I'd suggest making the transition sooner rather than later for the same reason that I did. If he's not trying to climb out then you may just want to take it slow and enjoy the piece of mind that he's in the same place you put him to bed until morning :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:17 PM on May. 11, 2010

• i guess any time you are ready. my first son went to a twin mattress on the floor at 6 mos. my second son went to his full size bed at about 1 1/2 yrs. my twins went to toddler beds at 12 mos. i just put my 2yo boy in a twin bed today. we were finding him half off the bed quite often!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I was lucky in that my son never tried to crawl out of his crib so he was 2.5 before converted his crib to a toddler bed. We probably could have done it sooner, but I was really paranoid about him getting out of bed and roaming the house, which he's never done. The main reason we did it when we did is because he would jump in his crib in the mornings, and I was worried he'd somehow jump out. LOL About 2 months after we converted his crib, I found out I was pregnant with our 2nd baby so we ended up giving him the double bed we were using in the guest room. He loves his big bed, and had no problems transitioning whatsoever. We kept the bed in the same place so when he wakes up the furniture, door, closet, etc are still in the same place, which is less disorienting.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:18 PM on May. 11, 2010

• We never used a toddler bed. Unless you are getting it free, why spend the money on a bed they only use for a year - year and a half instead of getting a twin bed.

My children were all moved from crib to bed as they were turning 2 because they were climbing out of the cribs. And we went straight to twin beds with a side rail.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:06 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My son has been in a toddler bed since 20 months of age. We considered a twin bed but the size (and height from the ground) scared him. So he's got this bed until he grows out of it or his sister is ready for it.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:13 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My son went to a twin bed at like 2.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:35 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Who knows. I'm not even thinking about buying a toddler bed until my dd is closer to 3 years old. She loves her crib.

I refuse to push my baby into becoming a mini adult by the time she is two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on May. 12, 2010