• In the Spotlight:

HELP! TIPS, ETC! I'm planning on going at least MOSTLY vegetarian (occasional chicken, etc), and I just discovered goveg.com....

and there seem to be amazing recipes with "mock" meat... mock chicken etc. Where can I buy these things? I doubt Wal Mart, but am I wrong? I live in Fort Collins, CO, and we have a good number of health food stores like Whole Foods, but also some that are ya know.. cheaper... b/c we aren't rich by any means and I need to stay within my budget.

Where can I shop and what resources can I use to help me transition? I have been veg. for about a week (this new diet detox phase) and I feel amazing. So I am doing this for health benefits, not save the animals lol.

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 9:11 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Morning star products are really good for starting the transition, they are tasty and have a wide variety, all made out of soy, I buy them at our local supermarkets, find them in the freezer section. If you like to cook get yourself some vegetarian cook books, I love to experiment on new dishes. Vegetarian times magazine is really good also full of yummy recipes, you can also get the recipes from their website. I have been one for about 15 years, I eat dairy, no milk just egg and cheese on occassion, and I get most of my protein from tofu, and whey shakes. Good luck!!!

Answer by older at 9:18 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Goveg.com is a great website : ) you can find meat substitutes at walmart and even at target. Morning Star makes crumbles (it's like ground beef). They also make vegetarian chicken strips and steak strips. There are also vegetarian meat balls, buffalo wings, chicken tenders, sausage, bacon, etc. The list goes on. lol. I've been a vegetarian for 8 years now. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me : )
    .Lovely.

Answer by .Lovely. at 9:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Don't do mock meat. It's not food. It's mock food. Mock meat (and yes WalMart has it) is a processed product. It's not healthy. Don't eat a bunch of soy. Soy is not good for you. You'll get fat and it screws with your estrogen levels.

Meat free is about thinking differently-- not replacing meat but eating plants as a main course.

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:25 PM on May. 11, 2010

• thanks for the heads up ecodani! I will keep that in mind while shopping, though I don't think I'll cut out the mock stuff totally, i will limit it (kinda like limiting the store bought pre made lasagnas... sometimes you need something quick and easy! hehe)
    I'm not sure about the soy thing... but I would rather eat vegies than tofu, and I won't give up milk (at least for now, im doing ok with my skim!) but i just added your blog to my bookmarks as a resource!!!!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:45 PM on May. 11, 2010

• We're veggies, if you're interested, checkout my foodie blog-  You might find some really interesting things Green Without Much Means  And pass it on. The point of this is to help transitioning vegetarians, and anyone else who is interested in a better, cheaper, way of eating. ;)

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:02 PM on May. 11, 2010

• oh wow obby! i already have your blog book marked! it is amazinnnnnng! :) its the first one i got :) im excited for the veggie lasagna!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:08 PM on May. 11, 2010

• LOL! PASS IT ON! seriously... it's about to evolve into a website. I need a descent fan base though. I've been lax about posting the past few weeks because of some family/personal issues that have been on the forefront... but it'll be back up to speed soon.

This is how I grew up eating, I had food allergies (to just about anything man made, or altered) so it was back to the basics!!! My mum did an amazing job of preparing me for life the best way she could, by providing me with the most important tool- nutrition. This is the same hope I have for my children, and for anyone else who can grasp that what comes from the earth is what our bodies need- not what comes from a box!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:04 PM on May. 11, 2010

• amazing... let me know (or im sure youll post it via your blog) when you launch it!! I have posted it on my facebook!! lol...

i have Irritable Bowel Symndrome (IBS) and am lactose intolerant... but since I've gone off meat and been eating so healthy, NO PROBLEMS! No diarrah (sp) from ibs, i havent had to take the lactaid pills with any milk.. .its like i dont even have those things any more. and i want to keeeeep feeeeling great! :) (not to mention weight loss! lol)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:38 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I build our meals around vegetables, whole grains and legumes; We avoid highly processes foods, like faux meats. Here are some meals I make regularly; send me a message if you would like any recipes: No hurry curry
    sweet and sour cabbage rolls
    taco salad
    minestrone soup, salad
    General Tsao’s tofu
    stuffed peppers
    chili and cornbread
    sweet potato and black bean burritos
    Halloween black and orange quesadillas
    black bean soup, quesadillas, avocado salad
    not crab cakes, tofu fish sticks, baked sweet potato “fries”
    dairy-free nachos
    tamale bean pie
    Mexican bean and pasta bake
    white chili
    Stovetop lentil sloppy joes
    Tofu and spinach curry
    Lentil soup
    stew with dumplings
    lentil tacos
    Pot pie
    zucchini enchiladas
    Mediterranean Vegetable stew with poached eggs
    Stirfry
    homemade pizza
    squashed macaroni
    peanut noodles

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I just wanted to add, I am going to be 61, soy has served me well, I take no pills to regulate anything in my body, I have enough energy to make it to the gym for rigurous excercise everyday, I am a lot healthier than my counterparts and look and feel a lot younger than most my age. Soy is nutritious protein source, don't let anyone mislead you. Morning star products are processed, true, but soy has more benefits than you can count.

Answer by older at 7:29 AM on May. 12, 2010