have you ever yelled at your baby?

My 10 week old has been crying non stop all day. I have tried everything. I just yelled "Shut up" and threw down her pacifire. I feel awful. She is in her crib crying alone right now. Have you ever done anything like this when you have reached your wits end on a really bad day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to take a break. Don't try and calm her down until you are calmed down. If she keeps this up, get her some Mylicon gas drops to see if that helps. You could try driving her around that calms babies sometimes. Do you have someone that can come and help you? And to answer your question, I have never yelled at my baby, it is counterproductive. Relax, it WILL NOT hurt her to cry while mommy calms down.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:33 PM on May. 11, 2010

• You did the right thing putting her in the crib and walking away. Next time just do it sooner. Every parent gets frustrated sometime, it is how we react to that frustration that makes us the kind of parent we want to be. Take a few more minutes to calm down and then go snuggle her and help her feel better.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:34 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I've never yelled "at" them but I have yelled out in frustration. Everyone gets frustrated from time to time with a nonstop crying baby,so youre not a bad mom.Youre human and its normal. Your frustration is a way that your body is letting you know..mom needs a break. Set baby is a safe quiet place, like thier crib and shut the door. Go sit outside for 5 minutes. Take some deep breaths, collect your thoughts,think of something you havent tried to help comfort the baby to get them to stop crying. Go back and try again. If someone else is around that can watch the baby and take over for about 20 mins or half an hour that would be even better.Go take a shower,lay down and listen to some soft music for a few.
    Good Luck and hang in there. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:34 PM on May. 11, 2010

• ya. i'v been there. it happens and you should not beat yourself up too much about it. just keep your wits about you and if you can ask someone for help you should. try to find out what's wrong with the baby. maybe a bit of gas or diaper rash or an ear ache. maybe still hungry. maybe change the scenery or ask someone else to hold them. maybe try taking the baby to a room they dont usually go to. maybe too hot or cold. a tag scratching.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:41 PM on May. 11, 2010

• nope.
    Anonymous

• I have been there, although I don't think I've so much yelled him as yelled out in frustration. I understand what you are going through as does every mom whether they admit it or not. You did the right thing putting her down. Anytime you feel over whelmed just put her down and take a minute to calm down. When you feel you are cooled off enough go get her sooth her and see if you can figure out what is making so upset.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:49 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It is hard when they are that young they cry and you are not sure why. It is frustrating I know. My middle daughter had colic for about 2 months. It was hard but nothing calmed her down. Do you have support from a family member that could take the baby for an hour so you can take a break and just breath. That is what I did when my husband came home from work he took her so I could go for a walk just to clear my head. I have yelled but not at the baby, I do not usually yell I break down and cry when I am frustrated. I did that alot when my baby had colic. It is tough I know. You did the right thing by putting the baby down so you could calm down a bit. Hope it gets better !!! Count to 10 and breath.

ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 10:03 PM on May. 11, 2010

• i have gotten really frustrated at my baby twice. once she was having gas so bad she just screamed and screamed, i couldnt calm her down, so i held on two her and started crying. i texted my mother in law who was down stairs at like 11 at night and she came up and gave me a break. the other time she kept fussing, and i tried everything. and after about half the day, she started screaming. she couldnt hear me talking. so i raised my voice from across the room and said 'hey, hey, what is up?' and she stopped for a second.and i went and rocked her and had been able to get a second chance. now when i get frustrated i yell at my husband. i hate when he asks 'whats wrong'. if i knew what was wrong, she wouldnt still be crying, would she lol.
    elizabugsmommy

Answer by elizabugsmommy at 10:07 PM on May. 11, 2010

• yeah ive been there done that too. its okay, just calm down. if you need to put her down for a minute, put her down, its okay. if you have anyone to ask for help, then ask for help. it will get easier. it will be okay. if you feel yourself getting that mad, you gotta just put her down in the other room and go sit down and relax until you calm down. i know exactly you feel. *hug*
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:17 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i have. but now i just put him in his crib for 10 minutes. and when i go back, hes either asleep or so exhausted from crying that the second i pick him up, hes relieved and shuts up that second.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 2:10 AM on May. 12, 2010