Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TN moms, need help with insurance, please! Important!

My friend K lives in Clarksville (one of the areas hit by the flood, tho that has nothing to do w/ this), as does her daughter M, her DH and their 2 little boys. Her youngest son lives in WV I think, and her oldest son (middle child) died in December to leukemia at age 25 (her daughter is 28 I think).

M is a SAHM, she has no insurance and I just found out that neither does her DH (not sure about their sons, hopefully medicaid at least!). M is in the hospital now battling flesh eating disease and on top of that a possible staph infection (she had to have emergency surgery to remove the dead tissue). There is medicine that they can give her to help her heal faster, but they will not give it to her because she isn't insured.

K is about ready to hit the news media over this. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything that can be done about it. I'm saddened that they are having to deal with this, especially after the loss of he

Answer Question

Asked by mama2conor at 9:41 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Health

Level 2 (13 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • They cant refuse treatment due to not having insurance. Its illegal. They just bill you afterwards- even if its 100s of thousands of $$$

    Answer by pinkcicle709 at 9:45 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • Yes I would go to the media and without delay. That stuff is nasty and works quickly.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:45 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • If the hospital is federally funded they can not deny her treatment. If that medication is the only thing that will save her then they are breaking the law by refusing to treat her. If it is a private hospital then they have to transfer her to another hospital. If what they are currently doing is helping/saving her just a little slower, than they are within their rights.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • I hope you're right. I remember back in the 80's Vanderbilt got into big trouble for refusing to treat a man that had been in a bad car accident. He didn't have insurance so they sent him away. He lost 3 limbs due to the delay in treatment.

    Answer by mama2conor at 10:07 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • But now, what about insurance in TN? Is there any that they can get?

    Answer by mama2conor at 10:08 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • contact the tenncare office or dhs and ask them, since it is life threatening they should approve her pretty fast, but in the state of tn it is illegal to refuse treatment, also if she doesn't get tenncare but she does get treatment and then has to pay the bills tell her to call the hospitals billing department and talk to someone about getting the bills written off or reduced as charity, they will look at the families income and decide what they want to do. Just the threat of going to the media might be enough for the hospital to give her the drug though

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on May. 11, 2010

  • I will tell my friend that, about TennCare, DHS and all that. Thanks for your help!

    Answer by mama2conor at 11:27 PM on May. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.