Can you help me with a Cat vs. Killing Mice Question?

I have mice. I am in the country. The mice are in my house and I want them out! I am thinking of getting a cat to kill the mice. However, I have children and I need a cat that will be good around kids, which I am assuming means getting a kitten. But do kittens kill mice? How does a cat come about his liking to kill mice anyway? I see free ones on Craigslist, but I don't know how they would do with my kids. HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I seen a cat eat a mouse outside before it was painful to watch haha you could hear the mouse being crunched inside the mouth of the cat.. lol I too live in the country, in AZ of course and I recently had a mouse problem, I set up mouse traps at night while everyone was sleeping the ones that snap, for bait i used peanut butter and put it along the walls. mice dont have great eye sights therefore the run along side the walls and follow scents. within 2 days I caught that sucker and it was over. You dont want to use mice posion cuz if the mice dies somewhere in your house and you cant find it, it will rot and make your house stink.. so gross.
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 10:12 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Cats mostly play with mice until they die. So you will have a little kitty dragging mice around the house or even bringing them in from outside. And just having a cat will not deter mice from entering.  And mice mostly hang out in cupboards and places where the cat can't get at them.

Anonymous

• usually just the smell of a cat drives mice out. small kittens wont kill mice but a 6 month old kitten might. as for getting along with the kids, most cats will or will stay far away from them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:45 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I say hide mice poison, they like dark small spaces, so as long as it's out of your childrens reach you should be fine. We live in the country and have had them in the house. I wouldn't want something that's going to be in contact with your children have a mouse in it's mouth. Yuck. Then they lick your children.. The germs and bacteria that cats carry in their mouths are bad enough without adding a mouse to the mix..
    Anonymous

• It should be in their natural instincts to go after them. It seems all our cats liked to show off their kills and left them on the front porch for us to find...so just be sure to teach your kids not to touch the cat's trophies.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:59 PM on May. 11, 2010

• go to the spca and tell them you need a mouse killer good with children - they will pair you up. You don't need to get a kitten, a young adult cat who is good with kids will do the trick.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 10:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

• The lady we bought our house from had two cats and it didn't scare any mice. Every room had mouse dropping all over the place. Before we moved in we had to replace all the flooring. We closed off the point of entry and have never had a mouse since.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:17 PM on May. 11, 2010

• this sounds gross but it worked for my grandfather, he got used kitty litter from my aunt and put it around outside of his house, the scent kept the mice away
    Anonymous