how much and how often does your 3 month old eat?

I have 2 young children and mine pretty much ate around 4oz every 3 hours (formula or breastmilk) at this age. But I have a family member who is a new mom and feeds her 3 month old 8oz. every 7-8 hours. this seems like an awfully long time between feedings. I have never heard of a baby going that long between feedings...I have a hard time going that long without eating and I'm an adult!
Anyone else have a similiar situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd Will be three months next week. she eats 8 ounces about every four hours. She is also sleeping through the night
    fenska87

Answer by fenska87 at 10:01 PM on May. 11, 2010

• When my son was 3 months old, he was getting 4-5 oz of pumped breastmilk every 3-4 hours and was sleeping through the night. Babies typically need 24-32 oz of formula or breastmlk in a 24 hour period. I'm very surprised your friend's baby is able to go that long between feedings as well. It sounds like she's been "scheduling" her baby, which could lead to failure to thrive issues, but as long as the baby is gaining weight and the pediatrician isn't concerned, she might not be worried. I don't know. My 3 month old daughter is breastfed and nurses 7 times from the time she wakes up to the time she goes to bed. She only goes about 2-2.5 hours between feedings. When I'm at work, she gets 3.5-4 oz of breast milk.
    Anonymous

• 8 hours is way too long and 8oz. I'd imagine that the baby gets ravenous as is uncomfortable most of the time.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:14 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Anon is correct. 24 to 32oz in 24 hours is recommended. And i believe they want em eating every 3 hours? Thats what my son did at that age and the doc said it was great.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:50 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I think you should let her know that her babies stomach is about the size of his/her fist. She is stretching the babies stomach out by offering so much at a feeding. 8 hours is a long time for anyone to go without eating. I would be concerned about what this will do to the child's health and future eating habits. =(
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 8:34 AM on May. 12, 2010

• my sisters daughters drinkz 6oz and gos 6hrz and sleeps all nite. my daughter same age does 6oz every four hrs n wakes up once over nite at 4month
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 2:59 PM on May. 12, 2010