no/low carb diet

my doctor put me on it to lose weight since it seems like nothing else is working (i have a medical issue that makes me keep gaining weight.. luckily, i've been able to stop the weight gain, but i cant lose it- i'm 225 lbs, 5'3, 21 years old)...

but i've been on this no/low carb (i can only take 100 carbs or less a day, 50 is what my doc really suggests tho) for a few days now, and its liek every day around 5, i get so hungry, dizzy and just sick. like throw up sick. and really, REALLY fatigue. I was driving and i almost fell asleep!

can the low carb diet cause these problems? what are my other options really? i ended up eating a sub from subway and other than the fatigue, i feel MUCH better. is it just in my mind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Can't you just eat complex carbs? Those are different than regular carbs. I didn't know we could have over 40 carbs a day anyway. I must be doing something wrong!
    Anonymous

• sorry, but low/no carb diets aren't good for you, you're experiencing some of the side effects, there is also depression caused by this diet. I know your doctor put you on it, but it's not the best one.

but like the PP said, try complex carbs instead of just the simple ones when you do eat carbs.
    Anonymous

• my doctor said that any carb that i take it, will automatically be turned into fat. thats a symptom of teh medical issue that i have. and its easy to take in a bunch of carbs. 50 carbs alone is in oatmeal.. theres 2 grams in some peanut butter, there's 25 grams in soup, bread, pasta, etc, is loaded with carbs.

i'll look into the complex carbs. i've already been suffering from depression for a few years now, so hopefully that wont change for the worse. i am getting help/therapy for that tho too.

i made 2010 a year to fix myself- from my weight, self esteem and depression issues... as well as a few other things.
    Anonymous

• Your doctor is an idiot. Your brain runs on carbs and you can NOT function without them. You need whole grains-not simple carbs like sugar and white bread. I'd really suggest another doctor. In no way should you ever cut out entire food groups. You won't have any energy for anything. You won't be getting fiber and your digestive system will go out of whack. Seriously, find a nutritionist or dietitian.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:57 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I am also not a fan of the nocarb diet fads. I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. Have you ever heard of Shakeology? You use it as a meal replacement. Each shake has 70 all natural ingredients from all over the world. It is like complete nutrition in a drink. It helps you lose weight, lower cholesterol, improve digestion, increase energy and much more. It has literally changed lives. I drink it everyday, and most of my family does as well. I actually just got my doctor started on it too lol. Since you said you've tried everything else maybe it would be worth a try. If you would like to know more please feel free to send me a message. I can even e-mail you a letter that you can print off for your doctor.
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 11:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

• i dont think theres anything wrong with no/low carb diets. i was on one for two years and felt GREAT! you can and should eat things like fruits and veggies, those have carbs - but you dont need to eat pasta and bread wether its whole wheat or not. you feel that way because your body is getting used to a different diet, and a different amount of food. once it gets used to it, youll be okay. why dont you get gastric bypass surgery?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:10 AM on May. 12, 2010

• You are experiencing carb withdrawal. If you're used to eating 200 carbs a day (VERY easy to do in the typical American diet) then cut back to 50, of course your body is going to freak. These symptoms do go away. You are in the hardest phase of the low carb diet right now.
    Spread your meals and carbs out. You should be eating 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. If you had a mid afternoon snack you wouldn't have the energy crash at 5 p.m. You MUST count your portion sizes when it comes to carbs.
    I often have a high protein breakfast (omelet with plenty of veggies, tomato juice), mid morning snack of veggies & dip, lunch is a huge chef salad (TONS of veggies, bit of cheese, 2 oz. lean meat, 15 carbs worth of croutons or crackers), mid afternoon snack of hard boiled egg or veggies & dip or cottage cheese with fruit, dinner is 3 to 4 oz. lean meat, 2 to 3 cups steamed veggies or stir fry, 1/2 c. carbs. Night snack similar to others.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:43 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Your doctor is right. Carbs are turned into glucose, the body's fuel, and what isn't burned in your daily activities is stored in your body as fat. If you don't eat enough carbs, your body will burn what you have already stored. It's up to YOU to make sure you eat nutritional foods, not empty carbs or empty low carb foods.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:47 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I'm on basically a low carb diet for my gestational diabetes. You need to make sure that you are spreading your carbs out into 3 meals/3 snacks over the course of the day. For each meal/snack you should be eating it with a protein (my snacks are each 15 g or less of carbs/snack and my favorite snacks right now are peanut butter crackers, cheese and crackers, a sugar free pudding cup, an apple with peanut butter). For meals, I'm enjoying filling up on a huge salad before I eat my "meal" - just watch out for croutons. Also - many soups are low in carbs as well (as long as they aren't cream based!)

Answer by missanc at 2:56 PM on May. 12, 2010