Is there any drug for bi-polar safe (for the baby and mom) when pregnant?

thanks for your responses!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Health

• I saw Discovery Health a few weeks ago and the woman was bipolar and pregnant. She took a medicatiion but took it minimally. She had 2 babies before and they were fine.
    I would definitely discuss that with your dr, but I know there are options.
    Hope this helps! GL
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:22 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Yes and no... Are the medications really safe? Well, no. But not taking them is worse in some cases. You need to talk to both your psychiatrist and your OB about options. If your system is lacking something and you aren't taking the proper meds to replace it, your baby can't get it. Not only that, but an unmedicated bipolar woman has a higher chance at harming both herself and her baby... I have BPD2 and I am currently pregnant. My OBs office is actually doing a study of BPD Pregnant women and I will be joining it as soon as we have a due date...

Really what it comes down to is it is safer to treat and risk any minimal damage the meds could do, than it is to not treat and put both of you at risk...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:46 PM on May. 11, 2010