How do Catholics wear the rosery when they pray?

Do the men and the women wear it the same way? Not trying to bash I would just like to know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was taught to never, ever wear a rosary! I guess priests and nuns sort of wear them, priests on the cassock and nuns on their belts. But other than that, I was taught that wearing a rosary is a big no-no. Like other posters have said, you hold it in your hands and run your fingers over each bead as you pray. I sort of wrap mine around my hand, and let the excess part drape off my pinky fingers.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:14 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I've always just held it in my hand, don't really "wear" it.
    Anonymous

• Hold it, not wear it
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Yes, it is usually held in the hand, as you usually touch each bead as you pray. This is just what I've seen, so whatever works for each person is fine.
    Anonymous

• I have seen some hold it in their hands, but it was also wrapped around their wrist is this another way?
    Anonymous

• THEY DON'T. Catholics don't wear the rosary at all and that could be offensive. I find it offensive and I'm not Catholic anymore. They pray the rosary bead by bead and they hold it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:53 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It depends on why you wear it. Is it hidden so only you now it's there? To help you remember. To help you to be strong? Or as a status symbol? My 7yo old wears his to bed each night to remind him that God is with him. He has trouble sleeping. When I pray it I wrap it around my wrist. While My husband lets the beads flow down as he says it. For each person it's different.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:58 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Most of them do not wear it but hold it touching bead by bead as they pray.

Answer by older at 9:35 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Each bead represents a prayer. You start at one end and stop at the other going form one side of the loop around and down to the crucifix. It is held in the had and you fingers pass each bead as you say that prayer.
    Anonymous

• Perhaps it's a cultural thing?

I've only seen Latinos (and the occasional Black person) wear the rosary around the neck.

And I, too, was taught growing up Catholic (and through 12 yrs of CathSchool) that it was not proper to wear the rosary like a necklace.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:26 PM on May. 12, 2010