My DS is so spoiled, and we did it but what do we do now? He is disrespectful always pouting talking back doesn't do what is asked of him, thinks he shouldn't have to do anything that he doesn't want to do....

I want to change things he is like a brat. he is 10. I don't find that he is a nice boy.
Please offer your advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on May. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• You and DH need to sit down and talk about rules you expect DS to follow. Also, you need to work out some punishments and maybe rewards. Taking away privileges, sending him to his room, even taking things away from him, and spanking, if you do spank. The FIRST privilege I would take away is TV and video games. These activities shut down the part of the brain that is involved in good judgement, self-control, and higher reasoning (like thinking about doing what's right). The stimulate kids unnaturally.
    IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that you and DH are on the same page, because kids are smart and know how to work parents against each other. You need to back each other up, be a united front, never compromise each other's authority in front of your son. If you disagree, step out of the room to talk about it. Two parents are probably 4 times more powerful than one! Then BE CONSISTANT! Be calm. Be matter-of-fact. Let your son know what (cont
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:47 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I'm having some of the same issues- mine is 8. I started by giving him jobs to do around the house. He also has to do things to earn the things he enjoys, like computer time and video games. And I am also making him earn money for the things that he wants, both cheap and expensive things- I'm hoping this will start to work.... good luck!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:13 PM on May. 11, 2010

• i'm glad you realize that you are the reason for this. he needs a lot of dicipline
    Anonymous

and consistency.
    Anonymous

• ... let your son know what to expect. Example: "If you talk disrespectfully to your mother, you're going to forfeit your chance to play with johnny after school...." Then when he does talk disrespectfully, let him know he has brought the consequence on himself, it's not you being mean. Kids need to learn to take responsibility for their actions.

Good luck!!!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:49 PM on May. 11, 2010

• this is what happens when you allow your cute LO to get away with stuff when they are all cute! My friend is going through the same thing with her 8 yr old. Start being consistant and setting strict boundaries. Do not give in so he can see you mean business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 12, 2010