Why is my dog attacking all of a sudden??

I have a 3 1/2 yr old blue heeler named Dexter. He's always been high energy and everything, so he would jump on me and my kids, but I was working with him on it. We moved to a town about an hour away, recently, and Dex has started acting weird. He guards the food dish and won't let our other dog eat until he's done, he snaps at my kids when they try to pet him, and when my kids approach me while I'm petting him. We left both of our dogs with my sister in law this week to go on vacation, and he lunged at her 2 yr old with his teeth bared! He's NEVER been anything but a sweet dog... what is going on?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Pets

• I'd take him to a vet to get checked out and make sure there's nothing wrong physically or mentally first because that's a pretty drastic change. Is he neutered? Maybe he's just maturing late and neutering MAY help a little. If everything checks out with the vet then you need to decided if you want to get a serious trainer to help you out or if you feel he's to dangerous to have around the kids then you might want to find him a new home. GOOD LUCK>
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:17 PM on May. 11, 2010

• maybe he is sick, or homesick, sometimes they don't know how to tell you that something is wrong, I would take him to the vet and have him checked to make sure he isn't sick.
    Anonymous

• that can be how dogs act when they are in pain or are sick. or it could just be the stress of the move.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:19 PM on May. 11, 2010

• sounds stressed, take him to the vet to rule out pain first. Also heelers are nippy by nature and like to have a "job" he might need more things to keep him busy
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 10:21 PM on May. 11, 2010

• sounds like he's stressed out .. but take him to the vet b/c dogs act like that when they are in pain. since dogs can't speak words and tell you something is hurting, they act in different ways to let you know. just take him to get a good physcial done and talk to your vet about everything that has been going on. tell the vet about the attacking and all so that the vet can't do a really good exam.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:32 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Poor thing. We had a heeler, we had to give her away because we lived in town and she would get bored and bark and irritate the neighbors. I still miss her! Like the PPs said, take her to the vet. Honestly, though, I think if a dog threatened my kids for any reason, it would be OUT so fast. Even our heeler was very protective to the point she worried me a little sometimes. We got rid of her before our son was born, so that wasn't an issue, but if she had ever so much as bared her teeth at him I would have found a home for her far away from kids.
    Anonymous

• The dog could be stressed and just needs to time to adjust to the new home and surroundings but hypothyroidism can also cause a dog to act aggressively if the thyroid is out of wack. The dog is young but I have known dogs much younger to be effected by it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:56 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Usually when a dog changes that drastically, something is wrong. Take him to a Vet, and have him checked out.

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 2:07 PM on May. 12, 2010

• my cat acted like that too and it turned out he had worms...id take him in for a check up..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:28 PM on May. 15, 2010