Before my Grandma died she told me that she wanted me to have something but it was given to my cuz because she didn't leave a will. So is it wrong to ask for them?

Before my Grandma died she told me and my parents a few times that she wanted me to have her 3 black hills gold rings. However after she passed I was living with my mom out of state because my parents got a divorce and my dad lived a couple hours away. Before he got there his brothers and their wives divided her things up. They gave her rings to my cousin because they said she was the only on that could fit them. My parents and I were all really upset and now a few years later I am still really hurt about it but think it would be rude to ask my cousin for them. I feel that they were wrong to go through her things with out us there. And to leave us practically nothing. I don't know what to do but as her birthday rolls around I find myself thinking about the situation and her a lot more and I can't get it out of my head. My Grandma and I were extremely close. What should I do? Let it be or ask? Please help its eating me up.

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 10:39 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• That was not very nice of them to go through all your grandmas things with out you guys there soo very wrong but what is done is done. As far as the rings I would have a talk with God and your grandma and ask for help to get this rings back bc your cousin might not want to give them to you but then again she just might have a change of heart especially if you asked God for strength.
    if for some reason your cousin does not give them to you don't take it too bad just remember your grandma knows what happened and she knows how the rings ended up with your cousin. just give her a call and tell her how you feel and pray before you do this.
    Don't act like your mad or demanding just be sweet about it she just might give them to you. GL Grandma is watching over you too.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:48 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Sorry I wasn't sure what else to put this under......
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:39 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Can she give you 2? And her keep one? And I believe whoever can fit it is irrelevant. An inheritance.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:42 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I don't see how it could hurt to ask her for them....as long as you plan on keeping them. I was nervous about asking my mom for my grandma's engagement ring that my grandma had said she wanted me to have. My mom gave it to me no problem. I know its a lot different for a cousin but I think you should definitely ask if it means that much to you.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:42 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Are you close to your cousin at all? Maybe just tell her how you feel. It would really suck if she got upset and defensive but it also sucks not having them when you want them so badly and they should be yours. She might not care.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 10:42 PM on May. 11, 2010

• is an inheritance (sorry I pushed "Answer Question" before I finished lol)
    babycakes254

• I'd ask the cousin to will them to me or my child. That way if something happens to her then you finally get them if she's not ready to give them to you now.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:51 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I would ask for at least one of them if I were you. My Moms side of the family would have grave side fights over belongings. That is why on my Moms side of the family everybody has a will with every little thing spelled out what goes to who. I was left a very expensive bedroom suite seven months ago by a great aunt when she passed away. My other great aunt (they lived together) wouldn't let me have it until she passed away. I probably could have gotten it if I really wanted it but I just didn't have the space for it. Well now I am kicking myself because the bedroom suite has now been destroyed by flood waters that made it into the house.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:09 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Thank you all for your suport. I asked her and she doesn't even have them or where they went. She wouldn't lie about it. Things are still good and she is going to help me find them. =)
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 12:10 AM on May. 12, 2010