Is this an easy way to win a debate?

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/415336/How_does_wearing_a_shirt_with_the_American_flag_IN_AMERICA_hurt_someone_or_cheapen_the_flag

Spin off from the above thread...

Why close a question before people have a chance to respond by adding
"see, no response...." is that how you win a debate?

The point I would have made is: the students got together and decided to deck out flag related clothing on Cinco de Mayo. Are you saying this was not to push an issue? If a group of kids came decked out in the flag of Mexico to a 4th of July Celebration people would say it was to make a point... that type of activity disrupts... if a group of kids get together wear flag boxers, a flag shirt and a flag bandana than you KNOW it will cause problems and to say otherwise is pure denial... if thats OK with you, thats your right, but you can not deny it was done to make a statement and cause an issue.

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 11:07 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope, it would be to show their pride as well I would assume...

I call BS. I find it very hard to believe that anyone is that oblivious. You're just choosing NOT to see that it was intentionally done to cause a rift. Have you ever met a group of teenage boys? Personally, I've never met any that did ANYTHING to "show pride" in their country. I'd bet my car on the fact that they did it to snub their noses at any latinos that day.

BTW, not all immigrants "fled" here from "jacked up" countries. Is the air thin up there?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

• LOL, funny. I JUST finished reading through that thread. This is the first thing I've clicked since then...

That's the equivolent of rapidly getting in the "last word" and then running from a room before anyone can respond.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:10 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I think we should bring duels back into style, that would solve much debate.
    Anonymous

Also I dont understand why someone who fled their jacked up Country to live here would want to fly any other flag but that of the Nation that they ran to for all the things that they needed/wanted etc
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:10 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't argue that they weren't trying to make a point. Obviously they were trying to make a point, and if it wasn't a valid point, no one would have batted an eye. The fact that it caused such a stir just shows that it was a stand that needed to be made.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:11 PM on May. 11, 2010

• If your Country is so great then why in the hell are you here? IF they are here and flying another flag ,that is what I would want to know.
    Anonymous

• I see all of the above and find everyone to have a point based on what they believe....

I do not object to the kids having a strong feeling about Cinco de Mayo or even what it means to live here in the US-I just have a problem with things meant to disrupt the school day.. and that includes the kids that complained and made an issue of it!

I work in a school and it drives me NUTS when we spend the whole day on something other than education-it happens more than it should and there is always enough blame to go around!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:14 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Good post Soyousay....but they will never get it. They can't unbend their rigid minds and expand their ways of thinking. Next thing,they will be saying the KKK is patriotic too because they fly an Amereican flag. @@
    Anonymous

• That's the equivolent of rapidly getting in the "last word" and then running from a room before anyone can respond.

EXACTLY! My kids did that when they were little... yelling as they ran to their rooms and shut the door ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:16 PM on May. 11, 2010

But was it show your pride day? No, it was Cinco De Mayo and that was their response to the day.... it was not about pride, it was about domination.
    Anonymous