Breastfeeding and fast weight loss

during pregnancy, i went from 118 lbs to 140 lbs. this is my first baby and i am nursing. she is almost three months now. i havent been exercising and i lost a lot of weight really fast. at the end of the first month i was back down to 115 and body was sort of back to normal. but when i look at my friends who had a baby a few months before i did, and my friend who had hers a year ago, they formula fed and are still trying to lose the weight. i dont even know if i should ask a doctor out of embarassment if i am okay. has this happened to anyone else. dont get me wrong, i like being how i was before i was pregnant, but i wasnt expecting it to be this fast.

elizabugsmommy

Asked by elizabugsmommy at 11:17 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What is the question? Why you are loosing it faster? It's part genetics and part nursing. Nursing will help you burn calories but it only requires 500 extra calories to nurse. Just make sure that you are eating healthy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

• when you breast feed, it continues to contract your uterus shrinking it fast than women who formula feed. also, you burn quite a few calories when you breast feed. the same thing happened to me. not as fast as with you tho. i gained 35 lbs on top of my regular 135. good for you for nursing and losing weight!
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 11:20 PM on May. 11, 2010

• just another perk of breastfeeding
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:25 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Yes! Nursing burns something like 500 calories a day!
    This is why you should eat healthy and take prenatal vitimins for the duration...for YOUR health. The baby will take nutrients from your milk and get all the "good stuff"...and you can get depleted...of fat and nutrients if you don't take care.

I lost ALL the weight...and got in better shape after the 6 month mark ( average breastfeeding mom body recovery time) and I didn't "exercise" in any traditional sense...only running after a toddler LOL

Just consider it more woman incentive...that and you have decreased your risk of breast cancer and postpartum depression to name a few.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:29 PM on May. 11, 2010

• It's one of those things that seems to work for some and not others. You do burn an extra 300-500 cal a day from breastfeeding so is SHOULD help you lose but some peoples bodies must just tell them to eat more so they don't end up losing it till they stop breastfeeding.

I certainly worked for me. I gained 60lbs during my pregnancy and lost it all by 6 months postpartum with no diet or exercise (I couldn't exercise but that's a long story!)

I ended up losing 70lbs total by 8 months postpartum which put me at 135lbs on a 5'9.5" body, at nine months I was able to start exercising and gained 13lbs... It was all muscle because my body fat actually continued to drop!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:29 PM on May. 11, 2010

• oh poor you! Yes thats part of BF'ing but it doesn't happen that fast for all BF'ing moms.
    Anonymous

• You;re normal. Some moms lose fast, some don't.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 PM on May. 11, 2010

• My sis bfed for 3 weeks and she lost all of her weight by 3 months. I didnt and I still have 10 to lose. My daughter is 2!
    Anonymous

• At my 6 week check up i was 32lb below my pre pregnancy weight!!! Doc said it was from breastfeeding.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:54 AM on May. 12, 2010

• wow, okay. now i feel normal. lol, i felt like maybe something was wrong with me, like i wasnt eating enough, or i was doing something wrong. thanks!
    elizabugsmommy

Answer by elizabugsmommy at 1:07 AM on May. 12, 2010