Why is a spanking the solution to dealing with a young child?

I 've been reading through various parenting blogs, and I'm seeing a common theme-young children should not be ALLOWED to have tantrums, especially in public, and if they do, a spanking is the best course of action.

Whenever a parent offers a non-physical course of discipline (eg-redirection, time out, etc), he or she gets ganged up on, because theire kids are probably "spoiled brats who are out of control".

Why is spanking the solution to everything? Why is time out and redirection ridiculed? Why is it "wrong" for a toddler to throw a tantrum (according to child development professionals, it is not only normal but expected)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on May. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• As a preschool teacher, I could tell which kids were spanked. They were almost ALWAYS the most agressive children. The parents would threaten them with spankings (even in my presence). Obviously those spanking weren't working. Spanking doesn't guarantee a well-behaved child.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:31 AM on May. 12, 2010

• as far as tantrums go... unfortunately our society believes that children, starting as soon as they can walk, should behave as little adults.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 11:35 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Why is a spanking the solution to dealing with a young child?

-because it works
    Anonymous

• No it doesn't. A child should never be hit. They don't understand it. You are just teaching that violence is ok.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:43 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Spanking works in the short term. Not in the long term. Research has proven that. Non-spanked children by first grade have better self-control.
    Anonymous

• Normal and expected, yes. It's also normal and expected that babies will bite mom's nipple. That's no reason not to teach them not to. Normal and expected for babies to poop their pants (although I would never punish that!). There are lots of things that are normal and expected of an untrained child. It is a parent's job to teach. The first time my kid pitches a fit he won't be punished. But he will have to be trained, which will include discipline....
    Anonymous

• >> I don't necessarily have too much concern on how other disipline their children <<
    I do know that as a kid.. i was expected to do as i was told and when i was told to do. End of subject. If i didn't, I knew that mom or dad wasn't going to count to three.. or sit me down and explain that my actions were inncorrect.. or that I would just be ignored. Who ever was closest.. spanked my butt. So guess what - I learned really quick.. Do What you are told to do.. or else.

Now days - people just pat their ever loving temp-tantrum throwing brat on the head.. and say It's okay honey.. I understand that you don't care to listen.. so I won't make you.
    And all these cute little brats.. grow up.. to think that they do not have to listen, or behave, or follow the rules... and they turn into horrid little teenagers that are worse than the bratty little kid.. and by the time they are adults.. we wonder.. what happened to soceity. HM
    Anonymous

• when it comes to tantrums the best way to deal with it is to walk away...you tell your child you will not put up with the tears and walk away......after 4 kids believe me they do follow you!!! they look up and see your walking AWAY from THEM!!! and they change their attitude very quikly...then when they catch up to you you do not say anything...just hold their hand and act like you mean business. spanking only is good for when they don't listen after you have told them over and over to stop whatever behavior they are doing.
    you over spank a kid and they will just take you for a joke
    Anonymous

• Research my ass. Today I was in the store with my sister (a non spanker) and guess who's kid was throwing a fit until she bought what he wanted? Not mine.
    Anonymous

• Spanking is a really lazy way to raise your children IMO..
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 11:56 PM on May. 11, 2010