I really need some advice....

My baby is 11 months old and has been fighting sleep for which seems like forever. Her bed time has always been around 8 or so. She will sleep for a short period then wake up crying. When I go into comfort her she will stop. As soon as I walk out she cries even harder, and this will go on til all hours of the night until she literally cant stay awake anymore. When this first started I took her to the dr, had an ear infection, got antibiotics and it stopped for a short period. Then started again, took her back in ears are fine. Now she has an awful cold. She won't even let me comfort her and hold her. She fights me and wants to go play, or will still cry when I hold her. I don't know what to do anymore, I can't keep going like this. She wasn't this bad when she was an infant, Its worse than ever. Hubby helps as much as he can, but he has to get up so early to go to work so he needs his sleep too. Can anyone help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on May. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my two boys did the same thing and i started self soothing... they say it takes 3 days to give a baby a new habbit!!! and its very hard but it will work and your bay will be fine both my boys were sleeping all through the nght at 8 months and they cry cause they know you will come get them!!! good luck i hope this helps!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:49 PM on May. 11, 2010

• What is self soothing? Is that going in every 5 mins w/ out picking them up but calming them down?
    Anonymous

• "What is self soothing? Is that going in every 5 mins w/ out picking them up but calming them down? "

Yes. I'd also change bedtime. Either she's going too early or too late., Look for when she is sleepy...that's when you put her down. Even if that's five in the afternoon. Clocks have nothing to do with it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:54 PM on May. 11, 2010

• you let them cry out for 10 mins and if they stop for a few secon the time starts over your baby is just wanting to be with you and they have to learn to sleep its hard if you can here the crying. we say our good nights and get in bet turn off the light and close the door we do the same routine every day it helped a lot!!!!! my dr. even suggested it! some times my boy would cry a little longer that 10 min but he was okay he just knew i would go in babies are very smart
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:57 PM on May. 11, 2010

• my son is going to be a year on the 22nd ... and 8 pm is WAY too early for him to go to bed. the earliest i can get him to go to bed is 10:30. if he goes to sleep anytime before 10:30, he will be waking up in a few hours. i start giving him a bath & lotion around 9, and then a bottle and then put him to bed ... but hes been teething really bad latley so either i rock him to bed, or i take him into the bed with me because he feels much better like that and doesnt wake up in the night. if i put him in his crib, he wakes up quite often. if i take him in bed with me, he sleeps so much better. im not into this leaving them crying thing ... especially when there teeth are hurting, and they are so young, and they just want to sleep and cuddle with there mommy, or there mommy and daddy.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:02 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Maybe she just isn't ready for bed yet? My son didn't go to bed until midnight at that age. Maybe you laying her down upsets her and she just wants to be awake for a while longer. Maybe she will start sleeping a little later if you keep her up and active.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Why have a bedtime? Let your baby go to sleep when tired.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:02 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Unless in a growth spurt or having a marathon play frenzy, even my 7 month old doesn't go to sleep that early -- specially this time of the year! It's more like 10 or 11pm.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:18 PM on May. 12, 2010

• OP here, my son always had a bed time at 8 as long as I can remember. I guess I just dont understand how any baby is able to get a regular bedtime if I let her stay up late all the time. But I guess the other thing I don't understand is that I can put her down at 8 or earlier and she will sleep but only as like its a nap! I know each child is different, but I have honestly never heard of a baby staying up til midnight. Letting her stay up this late is not good for her, because letting her stay up late means that she is not getting all the sleep at night. I have to wake her then in the morning to take my son to school. Heres what happened last night, I let her stay up til 1230 she went down fine slept til 815(me waking her) and she has only napped once today for 30 mins or so. Don't they require more sleep?
    Anonymous

• They are like adults. Some days they need more sleep than others. Don't worry about it unless you notice a problem. Honestly, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Sleep doesn't really settle into an adult pattern until age 3 or 4 and it is going to change because of growth spurts, teething, and developmental milestones. It is just like you. Some days you need more sleep than others, and if you aren't tired you just don't sleep. Every been so busy with the prospect of a tomorrow that you don't sleep as long as on another day? Ever been so overwhelmed with the days events that your sleep is interrupted by your own thoughts? It's similar for babies. They tend to sleep more during growth spurts, and then less when learning something fabulous or fun. My baby some days will sleep a long time and other days she's too busy. As long as the baby is healthy, happy, not obviously sleep deprived go with it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:30 PM on May. 12, 2010