Can you live off 500 dollars a month for just food for a family of 3?

How, any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't know, i think we spend about 600 a month... maybe more sometimes, and that's if we don't go out at all.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:10 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Oh yes, it's possible. I have a husband and 2 kids, and we receive food stamps from the State of Michigan. (My hubby had a really well paying job which he was laid off from, and after a year and a half he was able to find a job for $9, so we qualify for food stamps). We receive $244/mo, and I pay an additional $50-$100 out of pocket/mo. What I will do is shop the inner aisles of the store only once a month. Buy only what you need to, and what you think you will honestly consume within the month. Then, weekly or bi-weekly, I will shop the outer edge of the store (dairy, cheese, meat, veggies, breads). Not only will you eat healthier (these outer-edge items tend to be whole foods), but you will also see a major difference in the amount of money you will spend at the store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Its possible. We do it on 50 a week. Me hubby and a 3 year old. We eat good nutirious at home dinners. And since we spend so little on groceries we can afford a date night once amonth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Yes, that is way more than enough. For a family of 3, I spend 200$. Buy store brands and staples and things that fill you up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Heck yeah I spend about $1000 a month for 6 + 5 animals and that inc. laundry and paper stuff and all kinds of other "stuff" so just food for 3 people should be easy.
    Just_Bethy

Answer by Just_Bethy at 12:22 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Yes, you can. Buy staples....cook from scratch...don't buy packaged or frozen meals because they are too expensive and unhealthy. By Staples, I mean all the ingredients to cook from scratch. Flour,sugar, baking powder,soda, salt ,spices, herbs,olive oil, frozen veggies in bags, fresh fruit when it isn't too expensive. Inexpensive cuts of meat, chicken pieces in bags, fish and shrimp if your family likes them. Pasta and tomatos for sauces. Cheese. Lettuce and stuff for salads.Oatmeal and Cheerios for breakfast...none of those sugary cereals. Good luck-you can do it!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:24 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I spend that for a family of five so it should not be a problem....be sure to look at your weekly ads for sale items and plan out your meals....for i nstance if your grocer has frozen veggies for 99 cents a bag then stock up! if meat is on sale, stock up! before you know it your house has plenty of food.
    it is wasteful to go to the store every few days for just what you need at the moment...think ahead at the big picture....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I only make like $800-900 a month (during a really good month where I get over time), as the only person working and we make it. Frozen and prepared foods from grocery stores can be huge drain on money. Making things from scratch, or nearly scratch really helps. We don't really buy any junk food anymore. We can't afford it. We may get one box of popcorn with light butter once a month. Store brands help, too. A lot of store brand things taste better than national brand, IMO, too. If you have a membership with something like Sams Club, I've heard that can really help with some things, but we don't have one yet. You can do it. It's all about budgeting. I've also found that making a list before going shopping helps out a lot.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:30 AM on May. 12, 2010

• don't know - I think I shop practically every day and can't plan more than two dinner meals in advance
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I spend half that in food for two adults and a toddler, per month.
    Menu planning helps. BUT I do my menus after I get home from shopping. Hit the sales, stock up on what's on sale, and then plan my next two weeks of meals around what I got and what's in the freezer/pantry.
    Really stock up on basics. Make as many meals from scratch as you can.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:37 AM on May. 12, 2010