Do your kids have nicknames? and if so do use constantly call them by their nicknames?

It irritates me when parents or relatives use nicknames constantly, mainly because I was called called by nacknames...never by my first name.....kids should be called by their first name 75% of the time.....some moms on here too call their kids weird little pet names that when they talk about them it's like we should just know what kid they are referring too....it makes better sense to just say my firstborn, secondborn or whatever...IDK!! forgive me for the vent it just annoys me when kids are given names and they aren't called by those names

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• my sons name is logan. my parents call him logi-bear. i think its cute for now, but they live in another state. i dont think it will stick
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 1:08 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I call my daughter by her nick name. She is 3 and prefers it over her full name. I understand what you mean but I don't see a problem either way. I was called by my nick name by my family and now by my hubby. I prefer it. I feel it is a loving way to refer to me and my daughters. It is more relaxed I supose is another reason why I like it. To each their own.

Oh and the pet names drive me up the wall too. And baby talking to them at any age. lol
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 1:10 AM on May. 12, 2010

• my grandsons other grandma calls him... bricey...just dumb in my opinion...what grade school boy is going to get picked on for that? him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i call my daughter puddin-pie, princess tootikins (cause she is a princess with attitude), sugar bear, love bug, prettyness....she is 19 months old. i love her so much. me and my partner are the only ones who call her things like that. we do not baby talk though.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 1:24 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Our son's name Is Colby, we call him colber's, and monkey. He answer's to his real name, and both of his nicknames. Although, this one should , make you laugh, while I was in the delivery room I was having complications, so my mom rushed over, and throughout my whole pregnancy she ate straight cheese, when she rushed in the room and threw her cheese down, it was a bag of Colby Jack Cheese, SOOOOO, futhermore, she and my immediate family [except for me and hubby) called him that for about the first two months of his life ! ahhaa .
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 1:28 AM on May. 12, 2010

• My kids all have nicknames, but we do not use them all of the time. Heck we don't even use them very often. But I see nothing wrong with nicknames for kids. I will say if a child expresses a dislike for the name it should stop being used. My nickname as a little girl was Lissy, I hated it and begged my family to stop calling me that. They continued. Now my brother and his wife still call me that... I am 32 years old and have hated that name for at least 20 years. UGH.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:16 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I call my daughter toddler ducky, my hubby is Toddler Momo ( short for hamster) and our un-born child is called toddler Pingo and I am the Infamous Toddler Mackey (Monkey) I think nicknames are cute and it shows that you cherish someone.. My opinion. But my family is just fun and very very childish.. Maybe you aren't as fun and Liberal.. who knows.
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 2:20 AM on May. 12, 2010

• We have shortened our children's given names (ie Rob for Robert) and call them by that most the time, but they both have nicknames that they get occasionally and my kids are 3 and 5 years old. On sites like this I often use the nicknames though since I don't like having my kids names out on the internet a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on May. 12, 2010

• When my daughter was small, she had trouble saying her name~ Tara, so it came out Ta, and we called her that for a short time. My son's name is Robert, but we call him either Rob or Robbie, except for when he's in trouble, then he gets "Robert" with a stern tone. He knows what that means! lol
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:24 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I call my daughter by her first name 90% of the time. Her name is Angelica. When she was a baby we called her booger (because that's what we called me neice when she was a baby...and we all just kinda did it without thought) My dad calls her Jelly Belly because my name is Michelle, so when I was little, he called me Shelly Belly...lol but that wont stick, because I hate it. Anyway...my son...we call him Monkey, and sometimes I call him Bubby. I don't know why I do that...it just comes out, and I can't help it lol. But at least 50% of the time, we call him by his real name, Damien. His daddy calls him Buddy a lot...but it's mostly Monkey, and Damien. When I'm talking about him to someone, family or not...I use his name, not a nickname...but, whats wrong with having nicknames, or pet names for our children?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 12, 2010