Are welsh corgis a good family dog?

like a really really good family dog? I have read 2 different opinions, some say they're nippy and noisy and others say they're sweet and smart.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Pets

• Like a pp said, they are a herding dog, the corgis herd by nipping at the heels of cattle. One of the reasons they are so short legged, when they go in to nip the cow's heel the cow will kick back, but will kick over the head of the dog. I would recommend if you want one then check out some breeders and do alot of research. As any breed of dog can make a very good housepet and 'kids' dog. I groom one monthly and as he has matured he has gotten to be a really good dog, when he was first coming in, he would bark and whine the entire time he was there, his name is Wyatt and it fast became a joke to call him Quiet Wyatt. Even his owners refer to him as such. lol
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 5:00 PM on May. 12, 2010

• i had a welsh corgi. he was sweet, but barked constantly at every little thing. the wind blowing, someone walking by...he also like to climb the fence, not jump, climb. i havent had much luck with dogs tho.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 1:29 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i think it depends on the dog... alot of people say yorkies are very mean and not good with kids... but I have one and he sleeps with my 1 year old son lol

it would be best to get it as a puppy and raise it to be around your family...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:34 AM on May. 12, 2010

• They're usually good dogs... they're definitely smart, and the one book probably said "nippy" because they are a herding breed and my try to herd children. Training should help make them a great family dog.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:56 AM on May. 12, 2010

• They are a one owner type of dog and are very nippy with an attitude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on May. 12, 2010

• small dogs can develop whats called small dog symdrome. if you don't discipline your dogs and they are treated like babies or children they will act like spoiled brats. they are very willful dogs but with any puppy you can train it to be a great dog and can sometimes errode the traits that are bred into them. so they can be family dogs but you have to work with them. most small dogs are one owner dogs. i'm not sure a corgi is but like i said training is a must with this breed.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:06 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Corgis are great dogs but, like other posters have said, it's how you raise them. I adopted a Corgi that lived with an older woman whose grandkids had bullied and tortured the poor thing. It never liked kids. However, my aunt has a Corgi she got as a puppy and that dog loves kids of all ages. She loves slumber parties so she can go from sleeping bag to sleeping bag cuddling with the kids.

They will nip at heels and legs when your kids run - it's just their herding nature. And they shed terribly. In fact, twice a year they molt - when they shed the undercoat, huge clumps of hair come out. It's not bad if you are willing to rake out all the coat, but they are shedders.

On the positive side, they are very bright. Our dog was very easily housebroken and never had accidents. And they are very loving, happy dogs.

lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:55 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My good friend has a Corgi. He house broke so easy it was amazing. He is super smart, but like other's said he is a herder. He nips at people feet, but not hard, it's just annoying. He's good with the kids in general though and he likes to snuggle. I have never heard him bark at anything, just a little huff when he wants to go out.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:37 PM on May. 13, 2010