How old should a child be to sleep with a pillow?

Just wondering the reccomended age for pillows

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 1:29 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Think that depends I my son was about two never cared for them before then or showed interest. My daughter got on around 1 when she moved to a toddler bed however I give them themost flat pillow possible.
    willywonka86

Answer by willywonka86 at 11:52 AM on May. 13, 2010

• My child didn't get a pillow till her 2nd b-day...
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 2:07 AM on May. 12, 2010

• my son didn't get his pillow until he switched to a big boy bed at 2.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 7:30 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I gave my daughter a pillow around 10-11 months. She liked to lay on them and seemed more comfortable. She was able to move well on her own, she walked at the age of 9 months,able to cover herself up with a blanket and things like that. I think its more of a "what are they able to do" than an age. If an infant is still not able to sit up on there own,move things out of there way to get comfortable,then they are not ready. And the pillow I put in her crib fits from one side to the other so there are not any gaps on the sides. This is all just my own opinion...use your best judgement if you thin kyour child is ready or not.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:12 AM on May. 12, 2010

• My son is 3 and still doesn't have a real pillow. Not because of any safety concerns, but because we just haven't bought him one yet. We're looking into getting him a big boy bed by October (we were going to wait until February when he turns 4, but we're expecting our 2nd kid in July, and October is about the time she'll move into her crib. I didn't see the point of buying a new mattress that was only going to be used for a few months), and along with that, we're going to buy a pillow and a set of sheets for him.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:56 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Oh, I forgot to mention. He does have a little "mini" pillow that he uses. One day, he just decided he wanted to use it (and a blanket).
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:57 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I know people who always had a pillow in their kids cribs, since they were a baby....but I didn't give my daughter a pillow up until she was just about two.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 9:29 AM on May. 12, 2010

• both mine got pillows at about 10 months, they seem to sleep better and longer with the pillow.. Try it for naps 1st and see how he/she does.
    Anonymous

• When we put our son in a toddler bed at 14 months, we gave him a pillow (he climbed out of the crib and smacked his mouth on the rails so we took him out of the crib that day)
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 1:09 PM on May. 12, 2010

• I just got DS a small pillow (it's called a travel pillow) i got it from target. He's 19 months. He likes it, he kept stealing my pillow so i thought he'd stop if he had one of his own.
    WendyJR

Answer by WendyJR at 2:14 PM on May. 12, 2010