anonymous users are seeming mean

i've noticed on a couple of moms posts that an anonymous user will comment rudely and attack that mom. is it possible a non-member could do this just for their own sick entertainment? is it possible to comment without being a member of cafe mom? and shouldn't you be a member to comment?

sstokes86

Asked by sstokes86 at 1:49 AM on May. 12, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I believe you DO have to be a member to comment. AND this subject has been the topic of many posts here on CM. It's the same ol' same ol' and YES people grow the BIGGEST "internet balls" in the world, stand on soapboxes and preach, pass judgement criticize and slam other people to the pavement as long as they can hide like the cowards they are behind that ANONYMOUS button. If you are old enough to speak or write the words,you're old enough to own the words. The only exception is if a person has a question that is too personal or embarrassing to ask. THEN to me it's understandable why they don't want to be recognized. It's hard enough to ask a ? on here using your screen name because some of the other moms on here will attack you like sharks in a feeding frenzy..
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:03 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I've asked all my questions in anonymous because some of them are embarrassing. My mom was stealing money from me and I realized I had a relationship issue. I've never posted to be mean purposely. Besides CM said any disrespectful anonymous answers will be removed and your account may be suspended or even cancelled. So CM still knows who you are and if it gets reported some moms will start disappearing.
    janel09

Answer by janel09 at 2:31 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I think you do have to be a member of cafemom, I am not with the whole anonymous thing.....I can more understand the original poster wanting to use it if its something personal, but I notice most of the overtly bitchy replies are always anonymous.....cowardly I guess.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:40 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I usually write my own answers and don't quote others. I hope you don't mind, Aprilmorgans, that if I could quote you, word for word, I would do that...Bravo for you!!!!!! Total truth!!!!!!!
    I always use my avatar and my name on here and the rest of CM- is my real name. It means "true picture".
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 7:24 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I love coming on here and answering things, and it's sad that some bad anonymous people are giving anons a poor name. I can't believe some of the things that some of these ladies say! I wonder if they are hopping online after drinking binges, or something! I stay anonymous because I have several friends on here that I see in every day life in person. I love them dearly, and I love this site and the answers section... but I also love privacy. I am never mean, and I always try to see another person's point of view. I hope that you don't think we are all cowardly on here if we are anon!!! Some of us have the best intentions, and we just don't want to have to create another separate Cafe Mom account so that we have a little privacy from neighborhood friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i answer anon sometimes but i'm never mean to anyone
    shanda0914

Answer by shanda0914 at 8:53 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i can understand using anonymous because of embarrassment over a question or to keep privacy from family and friends, but the people doing it so they can be mean are just out of hand!
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 10:41 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Aprilmorgans

You took the words right out of my mouth !!!
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 5:43 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Hi everyone! OP I totally understand your feelings towards some of the anonymous posters. Thankfully they're not the majority here and most of the anonymous posters use that feature as intended. Unfortunately, it's the Internet and as some of the moms above already said, people tend to have a little more courage when they're allowed to post anonymously. That said, we do have Community Guidelines and TOS. All members must follow them. If at ANY time you ever see another member abusing the anonymous feature PLEASE report it asap. There is a team of people dedicated to watching the site and taking action on violations of our Guidelines and TOS. Hope that helped!

Cafe Chastity

Cafe Chastity

Answer by Cafe Chastity at 2:03 PM on May. 13, 2010

• sadly yes. Anon offers an extra padding of anonymity. We are all strangers, but Anon adds that extra unknown. So people know they can pretty much say what they wish and no one's going to be able to do much more that type some nasty in response... which isn't much of a deterent. This way its keeps their reputation clean and no one can link the Anon post to anyone in particular.

Proper use would be for posting something embarrassing that you don't want associated with you.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010