birth control pill question

i'm about 5-6 weeks post partum & my doctor prescribed me the progestin-only birth control pill because i'm breastfeeding. i took regular birth control for maybe 2 months many years ago & remember that i had to take it in synchronization with my monthly cycle. i asked my doctor when i can start taking the pill & he said tomorrow morning.. but i already had my cycle & my doctor didn't ask about it. do you need to take the pill within a certain time frame w/ your period or did i remember wrong. i'm having a problem with my insurance & won't be able to have it fixed for a few days. will this affect when i take the pill?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Health

• When you first start it, it's better for you to start right after your period. When I first got on the pill about 6 or 7 years ago (I got it for hormone problems at first), they told me to wait to start until the last day of my next period, or the sunday at the end of it, whichever came first. But, when I got back on it after my daughter, I was told to just start it shortly after my period (like within a week or so) and just put the right weekly label on the pack. If your period just ended a few days ago, I'd go ahead and start the pack. But, if you're due for another period really soon, I'd probably wait and start them towards the end of it or on the first day it's over.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:16 AM on May. 12, 2010

• With the progesterone-only pills, they do NOT change hormone levels from day to day. So you can start them any time in your cycle without a problem.

Regular birth control pills have hormone levels that change as you take the course. That's why it's important to take those ones in line with your normal menstrual cycle.
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 4:41 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Wait you are only 6 weeks postpartum and nursing and have had a period? I doubt that since most women nursing or not don't have a cycle until about 8-10 weeks postpartum and nursing it is usually at the earliest 6 months postpartum. The bleeding you had was likely just postpartum bleeding from delivery. As others said with the progesterone only they have a constant amount of hormone and don't fluctuate throughout the cycle so it doesn't matter when you start anyway. With the progest only pill you need to make sure you take it at the same time every day though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Anon 8:51, I got my period back 5 weeks postpartum and I was exclusively breastfeeding. I even saw my doctor and she confirmed that I had just resumed my normal menstrual cycle early, which happens occasionally, less commonly with EBF mothers, though. My cycle continued perfectly for 3 months until I got an IUD placed, then I didn't get another one (but got all the cramps and all sorts of horrible side effects because my body is weird) for about 7 or 8 months.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:25 PM on May. 13, 2010