Severe mucous in 12 day old newborn's eyes

Does anyone know how to get rid of it? It's like glue in my poor baby's eyes! When he cries, mucous comes out instead of tears! We are constantly wiping his eyes and they seem swollen too.....

TLALONDE16

Asked by TLALONDE16 at 1:59 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter had this problem. take your baby to the dr. the doc will give you a Rx that is a cream u put in the bottom eye lid. it will go away a few day after you start the med:)
    _mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 2:18 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Wipe with a warm wet wash cloth from the corner out. It might be a bit of a clogged tear duct, usually it resolves itself with in the first year. If you are worried about it call the doctors office and they can give better advice. My second baby had it until he was 9 months old, finally his doc gave us an eye ointment and it cleared right up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:03 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I agree with SleepingBeautee; but I was sooo worried about my son, so I took him to the Doctors, and they gave me eye drops to put in his eyes, cleared up within like 4 days I believe.

But good luck momma :)
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 2:08 AM on May. 12, 2010