Best breast pump? Help!

I am 4 mo pregnant and planning on breastfeeding, but I will be returning to school shortly after the birth of my child. What is the best breast pump out there, that comes with the best storage... what's better storage cups or little storage sip-bags? Please help, this will be my 1st time breastfeeding a child full-time.Thanks..

psychobilly_mom

Asked by psychobilly_mom at 4:52 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Contact your insurance company and see if they will cover a good double electric pump for you. If you get WIC you can ask about it there too. Medela, Ameda and Hygeia are the best for what you need them for. The Medela and Hygeia pumps are pretty pricey but you can get an Ameda Purely Yours for around $150. Join the breastfeeding moms group here on cafemom if you haven't already. We are always there to answer any questions you may have! =)
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 8:26 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I used an Evenflo double breast pump from Target. It was wonderful (for the price). I used the little zippy storage bags. They seem to store more compactly in the freezer. I didn't have to pump much though. Since you will probably be pumping more often I would def get a electric one. I would find a website that you can read some reviews on to see what other mothers have to say about a specific pump. We are fortunate enough that I was able to stay home. I feel very blessed. I had to go right back to work after my first so I didn't breastfeed him at all. I breastfed my second until he was 10 1/2 mths. Best of luck to you!!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 7:01 AM on May. 12, 2010

• As for storage bags, many moms use the lansinoh breast milk storage bags. I always just kept the milk in a bottle.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 8:27 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Medela Pump in Style are considered a very good pump. Evenflo pumps are considered to be one of the worst. You can go to google and go to websites that sell different kinds that have comparisons so you can see what features you want.

It's possible to be able to hand express as much milk as you get with a pump. You don't have to buy a pump. If you are gone for short amounts of time, 2-3 hours, your baby may wait for you and you won't need to worry about leaving milk at all. I was always a student while breastfeeding my 3 children and they never had bottles. I would nurse right before class.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:48 AM on May. 12, 2010

• For frequent pumping, which it seems you will be doing, a Medela Pump In Style or Medela Swing is a good choice, as is Ameda Purely Yours, and I believe the Lansinoh is a good one. The Evenflo pumps have a bad rep, I'm surprised to see that a mom liked it. They're affectionately called the evliflo and nipple shredder. You want electric, not manual or battery powered with adapter. You can get away with a single, but a double is good too. I wouldn't really buy a pump from a company that markets bottles. In general, they're not as good as others.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:39 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Evenflo = Evilflo for good reasons.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. On our FAQ sticky, there is a link to a post with our recommendations for pumps.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:00 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Another momma who HATED Evenflo. I tried using the single breast pump which was battery operated about 2/3 times a day and it stopped sucking COMPLETELY within the first month. Word of advice too, you will be SO engorged the first week it is THE BEST time to pump and store because not only will it help you not hurt so much but it will stock up your freezer really quickly. Please don't give your baby any pumped milk at all until you have to go back to school. I made the mistake of skipping feedings so somebody else could feed my daughter by bottle (I was too tired....but you'll get used to that :)) And my milk started to dry up because it wasn't being used every time she was hungry. My advice is to rent out one of the super expensive double pumps from the hospital and pump only after your baby has eaten. Good luck!!!
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 6:17 PM on May. 12, 2010