• In the Spotlight:

what are the first things to go?

In a recession what are the first things you cut out of your budget?

example ex[ensive products etc... what did you give up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• candles, We are in the Dave Ramsey course, so anything that is not neccesary to live or prtoect our assets.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:46 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Right now, food. We didn't have much to cut to begin with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Candles...extra clothes that I wanted or the kids wanted...not needed.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 7:09 AM on May. 12, 2010

• trips out of town, extra clothes, eating out, these were things that we could live with out anyway. but know it's getting into the food. we have chichens so we get our eggs, the next door neighbor brings us veggies from his garden.....life is good in th country! we have a well for fresh water too.
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 7:16 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Clothes, eating out, movie rentals from the movie store (now we do RedBox), basically buying anything we don't absolutely need.
    If necessary, cable but we're not there yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on May. 12, 2010

• When we were broke I cut our cell phone bill down by taking away minutes and the unlimited texting for awhile. It's only my husband, baby and I so we didn't have any kids to worry about racking up the texts/minutes. I didn't cut back on food, I just searched for deals. I keep it cold in the house at night so I'd stop doing that and find other ways to lower the electric bill. We had a car with a car payment so we got rid of that and bought a car that was paid for. There are so many things that can be cut back!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on May. 12, 2010

• expensive vacations.... but, boy do I miss them.
    SamMom912

Answer by SamMom912 at 8:24 AM on May. 12, 2010

• We cut our phone and cable since they are our only extra items we had. Also most of our food we cut out. Been eating a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches lately since they are so cheap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I'll go with no more vacations trips.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 9:12 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Cleaning products (i make my own, which is better for my pocketbook and mother earth), spendy perfume, lotions and shampoo, candles and air fresheners, expensive clothes, going out to eat and most importantly STARBUCKS (this one I miss the most) I don't even watch much t.v., but I don't think I would cancel cable. We do watch t.v. at night after the children go to bed and I would feel deprived without that.
    Also, I always think before i make a purchase. I used to just buy whatever I wanted, within reason. of course, but now I ask myself if this is a need or a want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 12, 2010