Pagan vs. New Age

What is the difference between New Age and Paganism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, there isn't to much of a difference for many paths. New Age has become a nice "code word" for Pagan in some circles. Because of the negative stigma that tends to come with words like Pagan or Witch, it's just safer for some to use a code like New Age. New Age also refers to more of a way of life than a religion. Many New Agers don't consider themselves religious, but spiritual. Where Paganism tends to be more of a religious choice as well as a way of life or a religious choice with a New Age way of life...

So the two tend to work hand in hand.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:44 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Paganism is polytheistic, they believe in many Gods or Goddesses.

New age, isn't really a religion and it's not based on the belief of many Gods/Goddesses like Paganism is. New Age is based on the idea of using thought energy to create things in your life and draw you closer to the spiritual world. 

This is a simple definition of both, I could be wrong because I don't practice either.  This is just my understanding of the two.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:34 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I could be wrong on my opinion ...lol... but what I have read it that "New Age" is the old coming back to "The Now"
    Ppl are combining old with new and creating a newer form of beliefs within the Pagan Umbrella ....

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:20 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:53 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I am both pagan and new age. But as others have said New Age is not a religion per se... it is a belief system. Paganism refers to a belief in something other than a monotheistic god.
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 4:01 PM on May. 12, 2010

• fromStar Trek Guide to Neo-Paganism

New Agers - Betazoids

Profoundly psychic when you don't want them to be; dense as a rock (crystal) when you actually need some help. Spend an awful lot of time talking about "vibes" and are perpetually concerned with how others feel. If they weren't so damn cute, you'd just want to smack them. You only see the women of this race.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:21 PM on May. 12, 2010