Elena Kegan embraces socialism and despises conservatives?

Elena Kagan spent her senior year conducting research for her thesis on the history of the socialist movement, which was titled “To the Final Conflict: Socialism in New York City, 1900–1933.” Her thesis has been criticized by her opponents for revealing sympathies with the Socialist Party and became a source of controversy when she was a potential nominee for Associate Justice David Souter’s seat on the Supreme Court last spring — a position which instead went to Sonia Sotomayor ’76 — and when she was nominated for her current position of solicitor general in January 2009.

She hoped that the future would “be marked by American disillusionment with conservative programs and solutions, and that a new, revitalized, perhaps more leftist left will once again come to the fore.”

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/2010/05/03/26081/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on May. 12, 2010

• So what? She's a liberal. Move along with your attempt to start drama. Find a hobby.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 6:54 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Should someone with extreme political views and no judicial experience be sitting on the SC bench? Seems like a liberal payback to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on May. 12, 2010

• "So what? She's a liberal. Move along with your attempt to start drama. Find a hobby."

More like a socialist. Funny, that #10 on your HP, says you LIKE to hear other's people's viewpoints, even if you don't agree with them. Maybe you need to re-think that.
    360

Answer by 360 at 7:37 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Watch it, you're going to be accused of being a homophobe because you're not supporting this woman!! Just like you're a racist if you don't kiss Obama's butt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on May. 12, 2010

• But Wilentz defended Kagan against her critics, noting that she was adept at removing her personal beliefs from her academic research on labor and radical history. “Sympathy for the movement of people who were trying to better their lives isn’t something to look down on,” he explained. “Studying something doesn’t necessarily mean that you endorse it. It means you’re into it. That’s what historians do.”

History professor Sean Wilentz, who advised Kagan on her senior thesis, described her as “one of the most extraordinary people I’ve met in my life, let alone teaching at Princeton.”

Kagan said in her thesis acknowledgements that her brother’s “involvement in radical causes led me to explore the history of American radicalism in the hope of clarifying my own political ideas.”

"Elena Kagan is about the furthest thing from a socialist. Period. And always had been.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:03 AM on May. 12, 2010

• haha, I don't need to rethink it. I do love hearing other viewpoints. Valid ones. This isn't a viewpoint. All I see is a news article.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:33 AM on May. 12, 2010

• so acurran has to find a viewpoint valid if it is to be discussed. Got cha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on May. 12, 2010

• The fact that she wanted Clinton to BAN Late Term Abortions sounds like she would appeal to Conservatives...Christians and most of the women who post at CM. How about that ? I doubt that she is a ......"Socialist"......
    However,since a few have tried to say she is a .....errr....Homosexual.....shows that the Radical right/Christians,religious right of any religion....that kind of prejudice, is already working against her. Such a shame. Nobody knws what her sexual preference is ....that should not make amy difference at all. ONLY her qualifications matter.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:52 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Gosh. You sure are smart. That's not what I said. Learn to read please!
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:55 AM on May. 12, 2010