Do we thank Democrats and their continuous extension of Unemployment Benefits for this?

Workers Turn Down Job Offers to Collect Unemployment
In a state with the nation's highest jobless rate, landscaping companies are finding some job applicants are rejecting work offers so they can continue collecting unemployment benefits.
It is unclear whether this trend is affecting other seasonal industries. But the fact that some seasonal landscaping workers choose to stay home and collect a check from the state, rather than work outside for a full week and spend money for gas, taxes and other expenses, raises questions about whether extended unemployment benefits give the jobless an incentive to avoid work.
Members of the Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association "have told me that they have a lot of people applying but that when they actually talk to them, it turns out that they're on unemployment and not looking for work."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Chris Pompeo, vice president of operations for Landscape America in Warren, said he has had about a dozen offers declined. One applicant, who had eight weeks to go until his state unemployment benefits ran out, asked for a deferred start date.

"It's like, you've got to be kidding me," Pompeo said. "It's frustrating. It's honestly something I've never seen before. They say, 'Oh, OK,' like I surprised them by offering them a job."

Some job applicants are asking to be paid in cash so they can collect unemployment illegally, said Gayle Younglove, vice president at Outdoor Experts Inc. in Romulus.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100510/BIZ/5100335/1001
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I live in Michigan, and my opinion is that the employers who are seeking employees shouldn't be complaining about this... they should be calling the unemployment insurance agency with those people's names. But they have to keep in mind that the State of Michigan does not force an unemployed worker to take a job that pays considerably less than the amount that they used to make. There is actually a percentage of the past job's wage that the new job has to pay before the employee has to take it. Perhaps this company has a lot of hopeful applicants... until they find out the wage. My hubby used to work about 60 hours a week, at approx $13.50/hr, and now works for just over nine bucks because he took a job that was offered to him. We make less now than we did on unemployment. It's not fun, but it works. He took it only because he had been on unemployment for a year, and there were no other options.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on May. 12, 2010

• the State of Michigan does not force an unemployed worker to take a job that pays considerably less than the amount that they used to make

If it pays considerable less, WHY did someone say they would take the job under the table or when their benefits run out? One applicant, who had eight weeks to go until his state unemployment benefits ran out, asked for a deferred start date.

Some job applicants are asking to be paid in cash so they can collect unemployment illegally, said Gayle Younglove, vice president at Outdoor Experts Inc. in Romulus

People are trying to scam the system because the governmnet continues to extend UE. If the government were to stop the extension these people would take jobs!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I live in a "suburb of Detroit," to an extent... within an hour's drive. The old booming area of our town that used to be factories galore is now a bunch of empty buildings. At one point, half the moms in our play groups had husbands without jobs. If you had experienced job loss like these people have, and had truly appreciated the extensions that prevented you from losing your home, then you would realize that the answer to the comment that you posted on here is yes we thank the people who pushed for extensions... we thank them from the bottom of our hears. What made you pick this topic to share, not to be rude, but rather just to ask because I am curious? I am all for free speech, but sometimes free speech hurts feelings whether it was intended to or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on May. 12, 2010

• To reply to Anon 7:19...

We weren't there ourselves for that conversation. Perhaps that person was a lazy bum.... we do not know for sure. No one should hide their income and take advantage of the system by earning cash under the table and still claiming benefits. If they get caught, they will be punished. As for waiting until the benefits run out to start the job, if the job paid less than the benefits anyway, then that person would not be forced to take it. So they were in their right. If the same person said both things, then they have half their priorities straight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on May. 12, 2010

• What made you pick this topic to share, not to be rude, but rather just to ask because I am curious? I am all for free speech, but sometimes free speech hurts feelings whether it was intended to or not.

I live in Bay City Michigan. I used to be a legal aid. Laid off, I took a job cleaning motel rooms. It pays less. But I took it to pay the bills before my unemplyment ran out. I didn't want to be greedy and not accept. What happens with their UE runs out and then they can't find a job?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on May. 12, 2010

• To reply to Anon 7:19...

I wonder how many? I wonder if she kept a tally? Yes, people will do that, but they shouldn't. But how many people do you think actually said that? 2 or 3? 10 or 20? 150?

Yes, people are trying to scam the system. People do it every day. It is not right. But THANK GOD the extensions are there for the good people who are desperate.

I respect your take on this, but I don't have to agree with it. I just wish that people wouldn't form an opinion and publicize it because of a few bad examples when the extensions so perfectly help so many good folks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on May. 12, 2010

• What happens with their UE runs out and then they can't find a job? WIll they cry that they need more unemployment benefits? They had had no pride when they asked the emplyer to delay their start date or pay them under the table?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on May. 12, 2010

• If the job pays less, at least in ohio, unemployment pays the difference of the salary. So there is no excuse except pure laziness.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 7:32 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Government entitlements equals less pride, less dignity and less responsibility. Government entitlements leaves people wanting more.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on May. 12, 2010