What do you think of the OTC Genetic Susceptibility Test kit which will out in the market this friday?

May 11, 2010

PHOENIX -- The next time you are at a Valley grocery or drug store you may notice a new product next to the deodorant and toothpaste.

A DNA test kit.

Walgreens is one of the places that will carry the kit from Pathway Genomics.

Company officials say it can test for 23 disorders from Alzheimer's to breast cancer.

"Our kit is very simple, it has a saliva tube," says David Becker, Chief Scientist at Pathway Genomics. "We follow all state and federal regulations."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Health

• what? thats kinds effed up! so you are telling me you can test for a disorder in your baby and some crazy women are probably gonna do this and this will def lead to more abortions. thats whack!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:29 AM on May. 12, 2010

Worse people are going to start asking you to take the test in order to date you. I don't think nothing good can come from this product being OTC?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on May. 12, 2010

• maybe i'm not understanding? is this to see you could have or you could pass to your baby?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:33 AM on May. 12, 2010

• It says that it's supposed to check for more than 70 genetic diseases.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 8:33 AM on May. 12, 2010

• *what you could have
    shay1130

• Also it says that it hasn't been approved by FDA. How could it be in the market?
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 8:36 AM on May. 12, 2010

• on the market*
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 8:56 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i wouldn't care one way or another. if someone asks me to do it to date me they wont be dating me for long. i would say see ya. i would probably encourage anyone to stay away considering its not FDA approved but then again there are things that are FDA approved that i would never try either. there will always be the crazies one way or another.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 12, 2010

• "Also it says that it hasn't been approved by FDA. How could it be in the market?"

I'm pretty sure Airborne isn't FDA-approved, either.

I'm not even sure what to think of this ...thing.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:33 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i don't understand the purpose. why would anyone need to do this?
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 9:51 AM on May. 12, 2010