Regarding Anon Answers... would you rather not see them on here?

I love answering anonymously, because I have a set of awesome friends that I hang out with in person on here, who I love dearly... but I would also like a little privacy. I would contribute my opinions in the same manner if I were not anon. But I have read a couple of posts lately where people note the rudeness that can come from some Anons. So I have a couple of questions for everyone who reads the Q&A section...

Does an anonymous answer affect your opinion of the person replying? Even if it is a good answer, would you prefer that the person who posted it either do so under their screen name, or not post at all?

(I just didn't want to keep answering anon if it truly bugged people!!!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on May. 12, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I don't mind when people post anon unless they are using it to hide from retribution when they post rude or cruel responses.

Personally, I always post anon because anybody can find what you post on the net, including prospective or current employers, and since anything can be read or taken out of context, I'm not taking any chances.
    Anonymous

• I feel like if you can't respond in group replies anon, than it shouldn't be in answers either... people use the anon button to act just plain mean, rude and nasty and hide from people
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:00 AM on May. 12, 2010

• no they dont !!! ure a big meanie peanutsmommy !!! i bet u stink too !! :o) hahahahahaha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Does an anonymous answer affect your opinion of the person replying? Yes, it does. It seems cowardly to me.

Even if it is a good answer, would you prefer that the person who posted it either do so under their screen name, or not post at all? I prefer screen names because 1. it makes it easier to reply and 2. It shows that you have the courage of your convictions and don't really care what anyone else thinks.

I never post anonymous.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 9:01 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I don't mind anon responses. Now about the rudeness I think that people needs to let it out of their system. Hopefully they will learn to cope with their emotions and not be "rude" the next time they post something.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 9:03 AM on May. 12, 2010

• OP here...

peanutsmommy1, good point. Some people are mean on here! But I honestly feel that I never have been, and was wondering what the general comfort level of anon posting on here was, from the reader's perspective! :-)

TinaN64, it does make it easier to reply and it does show courage of convictions... but I do have in-person friends on Cafe Mom that I don't need reading every word that I write. This is kind of like a hobby when the kids are sleeping or are at school, and I enjoy it a lot! But I still feel that I want some privacy sometimes from the people that I know in real life, and that is my only reason for posting Anon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Anonymous or not, my opinion of someone is affected by the following:

1. Rudeness. There's no reason to call someone an idiot or make them feel like one because you learned every parenting skill the day you gave birth, and they didn't.

2. Textspeak. I can't stand trying to read a post that's full of "u" and "r" and "newayz" and all that. Seriously, "you" and "are". Two more letters, it's not that hard.

3. Grammar and spelling, but that's just a personal pet peeve of mine.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:06 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Does an anonymous answer affect your opinion of the person replying? Yes it does. I don't give as much credibility to people who use it. I understand why some people do, but if you can't own up to your words why should I care about that opinion. Most of the anonymous I see are in the R&B section and mostly because they want to be a bitch and tell you how wrong you are. In that case I have no respect for them regardless. Put your name to it or don't post.  Where personal matters are concerned it's fine. Noone here needs to know ALL about your business.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:08 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I don't mind either way, if someone posts anon or not. However, when I post a question and I go to select "best answer" I always pick a person, not an anon answer so that someone gets credit for an answer.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:14 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I don't mind anon answers or questions, I get why people want privacy. The only time anon answers bug me is when they are beyond rude, racist or discriminatory, have the balls to show your face so to speak if you are going to respond to questions like that.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:52 AM on May. 12, 2010