What if I don't want to help other people???

I was talking to this guy and I really liked him. But I'm going through a really hard time and so I did to complain a bit too much. And his answer was you'll never be happy bc you don't help others. Helping others is the only way to be happy. But I don't want to help others at this point. Nobody is helping me and my son! His happiness is all the matters. So if I'm broke and don't have a good job and I can't afford much of anything then why would I help others? I'm trying to help us! So I stopped talking to him. But am I wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Are you wrong? No. Although, helping others makes me and some other people feel better it doesn't always mean it's right for another. I just always try to do whatever I can for others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Helping others does not always mean spending money. Like a couple days ago there was a woman struggling to get something in the trunk of her car and I stopped and asked if she needed help and she was very happy to receive the help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Some feel (yes me included) that if you help then the help will come to you. Its like Karma!! Give out the good and the good will come back. Give out the bad and the bad will come back!!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 9:08 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Helping others doesn't have to cost anything. And it would set a good example to your son.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 9:10 AM on May. 12, 2010

• There just is no room in this world for people who want to keep to themselves and want to be cranky. All of these happy go lucky people that reply do what makes THEM happy but what works for them may not work for you. Face it people there are people in this world who just don't want to put themselves out and that is okay. There is nothing wrong with that. Not everybody has be that kind of person. This world is big enough cranky people believe it or not. Some people have to be miserable to be happy. Thats just the way they are. Leave them be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Anon 924 here the first sentence is said in sarcasm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Just another case of somebody trying to force their personal feelings and beliefs on somebody else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on May. 12, 2010

• You are wrong in not talking to him for this, this is a sign of a kind hearted man, and he is right in so many levels, but if you can't help someone right now because of the economic crisis that is fine too, there are many ways to help that do not include money.

Answer by older at 9:29 AM on May. 12, 2010

• OP- I stopped talking to him over it bc he would dismiss my problems and tell me to think about Haiti or something. I just got tired of hearing it all the time. His whole world is about helping others which is great for him. But I knew I would never be first to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I think when we complain we are seeing the world as how it is pertaining only to us. You are struggling so you are only focusing on you and your son. I have been in your shoes so I know how hard it is. The last several years my dd and I have gone on Thanksgiving Day and served the less fortunate. It is amazing to see what others are going thru and to have an attitude of service. I do believe it makes you feel good when you help someone and causes you to be grateful for what you have. I also think it takes the focus off yourself and you realize what it takes to offer a hand. You say no one is helping you and you son but you may find someone you can help...babysit a neighbors kid for example and someday when you are in a bind someone may be there to help you. Doesnt even have to be the same person It is just "what goes around comes around"
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:36 AM on May. 12, 2010