I have excessive weeds in my yard...ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP OUT AND BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

I got my yard hydro-seeded last fall and I have more weeds than grass. The company who did it won't stand behind their work because they are going under. Ugh! Anyways, I really don't want to part with another $2500(which includes a new final grade) What can I do to get rid of these weeds? I put weed and feed on my lawn and it looks like it's feeding the weeds. I'm also going to call somebody to spray, but am I going to have to pull all of the weeds to promote new growth or will they just eventually go away? Thank you so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• we moved into our home 3 years ago, and i believe the previous owner had the lawn sprayed regularly. i am opposed to using chemicals on my lawn. i pull a lot of the weeds by hand. we aerate the lawn once a year, we seed and fertilize twice a year. i thatched the front lawn this year. my front lawn is small, and it's not too hard to keep up with. next year i hope to pull as many weeds as possible, apply a lot of topsoil and seed the backyard. i am going to try to spread lime in the backyard to hopefully discourage clover.
    i am trying to optimize the conditions for the grass, and hope that the grass will overtake the weeds!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:20 PM on May. 12, 2010

• your yard can't be as bad as mine. Mine looks like a jungle 2 days after my dh mows. i hate it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:25 AM on May. 12, 2010

• You may have to selectively spray with roundup. Use cardboard as a splatter preventer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:38 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Go to Scotts.com because It depends on where you live. I live in NY & I would first buy Scotts granulated Step 2: Weed Control Plus Fertilizer and put it in a broadcast spreader. Follow the directions on the bag. You may have to wet the lawn first prior to application. Wait a week or two to see if the weeds wither. Then I would buy bags of grass seed (I purchase it at Walmart because they are the least expensive in my area) and put that in a broadcast spreader and apply to the lawn. Follow through as directed with Scotts recommended Annual fertilizing schedule into the fall. I know lawn maintenance is a real pain. Good luck!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on May. 12, 2010