if you had/have a child with a disorder or disability would you blame yourself?

if you had done drugs in the past or if the disorder ran in the family would you blame yourself at first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that's the nature of being a Mom. We think anything that's "wrong" with our kids is our fault... even if it isn't.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 9:25 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I agree with lucmylilmonkies...
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:27 AM on May. 12, 2010

• My son does and yes I do blame myself. I didn't do any drugs or drink, I did everything by the book during pregnancy, breastfeed, everything I could. I feel as though I am his mother, it's my job to protect him from everything and I didn't some how. He is still young and we are still adjusting, maybe later in life I will feel differently, but right now I do blame myself even though the doctors and therapist always reassure me it wasn't anything I did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I've read stories about mothers who did cocaine during pregnancy and their baby's cognitive skills not being affected, meanwhile mother with "perfect" lifestyles have children with developmental delay. A mother shouldn't blame herself for her child's disability.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 9:35 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Yes if I did drugs or knowingly had a baby when I knew their was a high risk of passing on a terrible disease or medical condition I would blame myself. Which is why I didn't have a baby. My husband has a genetic condition that I am also a carrier for and didn't want to pass it on. But if you had no reason to believe that there would be a problem and it just happened then there is no reason to blame yourself.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:40 AM on May. 12, 2010

You did everything for your child. You know it. Hang in there.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 9:46 AM on May. 12, 2010

• My husband has a genetic condition that I am also a carrier for and didn't want to pass it on.

What are the chances of you having a child with the genetic condition? If I might ask.

Gene-environment correlation

Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 9:51 AM on May. 12, 2010

• If I did drugs? Absolutely I would blame myself. If I knew that I did everything properly during my pregnancy and it was beyond my control then no, or atleast I would try my best not to.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:54 AM on May. 12, 2010

• What are the chances of you having a child with the genetic condition? If I might ask.

You can ask but I won't say, somethings are private...
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:00 AM on May. 12, 2010

• my son has a disorder and no I don't blame myself. His is a freak of nature-happens every so often and he just happened to be that one in 800,000 that got it. At first I did blame myself.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:02 AM on May. 12, 2010