5 months pregnant and I've begun lactating already.Could I start pumping now and store the milk for future use?

Or is the milk not ready for consumption yet? Like, not ripe? LOL. That sounds so funny,but you know what I mean.
I figure if I could start pumping and storing now,I'd have plenty to be able to extend breast feeding even longer.I'd continue to pump and store of course after the baby is here too. But it woul dbe nice to get a head start!
What do yo think? Would it be okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• These answers are CRACKING me up!! lol It is NOT milk unless you were just breastfeeding another baby when you got pregnant. It is colostrum. You do not want to pump it as that can cause contractions (as others have stated). However, pumping would not cause that all important colostrum to RUN OUT. That isn't how it works. lol So the answers are: it is not milk it is colostrum, get some nursing pads, don't pump and store it. If your hubby wants to mess with them a bit it is fine it takes more than a bit of nipple foreplay to cause contractions.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 12:07 PM on May. 12, 2010

• If your milk IS ripe, then I think this would be a smart idea. You can usually tell by the color and texture of it. When it first starts coming in it's usually alot lighter in color, almost like water. You could always consult your doctor on it. Even show them a small cup of it and see what they think.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:02 AM on May. 12, 2010

• when your baby is born it will need all that good collstrum and if you pump now you wont have any left when baby comes and it contains all the good nutriants!!!!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 10:06 AM on May. 12, 2010

• it is just leaking not "milk" like you will have after the baby is born. Your milk production won't be triggered till you deliver.

pumping before a baby is born can cause contractions
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:13 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i agree with saadamarie, and i thought breastmilk will store for up to 3 months in the freezer. i may be wrong, but if you're 4 month out i wouldnt do it just yet... good luck with what you decide to do!
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 10:14 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I don't think that it would stay fresh, even frozen for another four months. I don't think that's a good idea.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:18 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Huh? Who the hell is telling you YES??? You people are nuts! LOL PUMPING CAN CAUSE CONTRACTIONS! Unless you plan on giving birth at 5 months gestation, I wouldn't pump. Talk to your doc about it... it is NOT a good idea.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 10:29 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I've read that breastmilk can stay in a deep freezer for up to 12 months and not expire.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Nipple stimulation can bring on contractions so I wouldn't
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 10:46 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I would check with your doctor because 1. it could bring on contraction and pre-term labor, and 2. yiu need to know how long it is safe to keep BM frozen before using it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 12, 2010