openoffice.org

so a little while ago i took my computer to a repair shop to get it wiped and rebooted. it had a virus and stopped working. i got it back it runs beautifully by the way. but they gave me something called openoffice.org i had never heard of this. It is a complete office program from word processor to a spread sheet program. it run beautifully it looks a lot like Microsoft's programs and its free. My question is why don't we hear about this more often, it is free safe and compatible. easy to figure out and use i love it. They saved me a lot of money. just wanted to get the word out there. i don't know if this is appropriate in the entertainment section but i couldn't find another that felt right.

mbaker331

Asked by mbaker331 at 10:09 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Entertainment

• I was told about it years ago by a friend who is a computer guru. Not sure why it's not advertised more. I read the story and it said that they created it (and for free) by people who hate Bill Gates and wanted to show that they can offer the same thing for free (and more user friendly) that he offers for big bucks. I love it.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:12 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Microsoft Word has been the go to programs since the start of microsoft. When you have one program that works perfectly there isn't really a market for any other program. Open Office, I don't believe, started too long ago. I don't think they got the advertising out at all, because I only know of it from my computer techi friends/family. I still prefer Microsoft Word as most people do, but now that Microsoft doesn't have rights to their Word Program anymore it won't be in any of their software packets. Apparently Word was the idea of someone else that Microsoft stole ? I guess. Anyhow. It's just due to the fact that people already had a word program that worked perfectly and had no other reason for anything else. Microsoft Word had no flaws and was the use of residence and office, so there wasn't an open market for more.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:15 AM on May. 12, 2010

• lol totally sounds like an advertisement...
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 10:17 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i know it does but i love and was just wondering
    mbaker331

Answer by mbaker331 at 10:30 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I use it for word documents, but I don't like it for spreadsheets because the calculations are a pain and there's an extra step for deleting/adding rows and columns.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:26 PM on May. 12, 2010

• Dell suggested it to me...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 PM on May. 12, 2010