How can I get my kids to do their chores with our asking them everytime.

Both kids have set chores they need to do everyday. My the time i get home at 6 they are still not done. One is taking out garbage and one is dishes.

AngeliaB

Asked by AngeliaB at 10:12 AM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just make sure they know they need to get it done before you get home, and if they are not then go for consequences, then maybe next time they will remember to do them before you get home.

Answer by older at 10:18 AM on May. 12, 2010

• If they have rewards for doing those chores, then let them know that they DO NOT get those rewards unless the chores are done by 6:00 everynight. Put down stricter rules that let them know that they have a responsibility in the household and they are to have them done by 6:00 everynight. If they can't do that, then start taking away things they have planned or things they love. By being firmer about it they'll see that they have no other choice. Unless they want no entertainment or their rewards for doing the chores.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:35 AM on May. 12, 2010

• I set a point system for my kids. If something isn't done or the leave a mess around it is a point. Five points at the end of the week and they can't play video games on the weekend, which is there only time there aloud to play.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:42 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Can you have them do the chores before school? I had chores and did them before school each morning.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 12:04 PM on May. 12, 2010

• thats the hardest part! I have either a chore list that MUST be marked off as it is completed and i also use a cool wipe board on the fridge. I have now made it so my teen does not get her allowance until i see that each chore is marked off. I've also locked the computer until a certian time that way she has nothing better to do till it turns on. if she keeps up the chores i take off the timer but put in in place when she is slacking again. Each kid is differnet and what motivates them. test a few rewards/punishments to see what will work for each.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 3:07 PM on May. 12, 2010