What is the difference between Lego, Duplo and Mega blocks?

I'm shopping online for my son's 2nd birthday. What would be best for his age, and are they interchangeable?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 10:22 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Lego- small, Duplo- medium, Mega- HUGE.

I'd go w/ the Mega blocks for a 2yo. My kids loved them.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 10:24 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Legos are the small ones; definitely not appropriate for a 2-year-old. Duplo and Mega blocks are the bigger ones. Either would be fine for a 2-year-old, but they're different brands so not interchangeable. I would look at the different sets each has and decide whether you might want to buy any of them in the future, and go with the one that has more sets you'd be likely to buy, that way everything you get would be interchangeable.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:39 AM on May. 12, 2010

• Legos are tiny and not appropriate for a 2yo. Duplo & Mega (and lego) are all their own seperate brand names - Lego is not compatible with either one. Duplo and Mega are about the same size - I'm not sure if they're compatible or not. I'm pretty sure we have both brands and if we do, they work very well together. Either one would be a good choice for a 2yo - but hold off with legos til at least 6yo.
    Anonymous

• My husband is a lego collector:) Megablocks is a brand name of blocks that is appropriate for toddlers and preschool age children. Duplo blocks are Lego brand blocks that are larger for younger children. Lego blocks are the smaller brick blocks for slightly older children...or my husband who never grew up ha-ha. I would go with Duplo for your son's second birthday, they last lots longer than Megablocks (I say that as a former preschool teacher).
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 3:07 PM on May. 12, 2010