When is an appropriate age to tell your children the "facts of life"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on May. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• how about when they ask. no matter what age if they ask you then you tell them the truth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 12, 2010

• You should answer every question but the answers should be age appropriate but truthful.

teensvstweens

Answer by teensvstweens at 10:46 AM on May. 12, 2010

• We have already started with the basics. But by the time they start school I am sure they will have all the details. I want to know they are getting the facts from me and not some other student...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:49 AM on May. 12, 2010

• When they start asking questions. My son is 9 and we have had "the talk" with him, mostly because his 12 yr old cousin started sharing her new found knowledge with him! I want him to have the correct info, not stuff my niece learned from her friends (one of whom has already had a pregnancy scare!) He seemed receptive, it wasn't too awkward and now he knows he can come to me with any questions he has.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 12, 2010

• my daughter and i have always had an open relationship and she knows and feels comfortable in asking me any sort of questions because I have ALWAYS been truthful. I may tone it down to her age level but answer the best i can for what i feel she can understand. Therre is always the basic "remember what we talk about is home talk and does not need to be shared with other children because thier parents may not feel they are ready for this information."

Start young and continue the open communications
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 3:01 PM on May. 12, 2010