Moms I need your help.. we co-sleep at night how do I get him to sleep in the crib during naps?

My son is 11 months old and he sleeps with me at night and during the day he will usually nap on the couch but now it's at the point I have to hold him on the couch while he sleeps or he will wake up screaming the second I try to put him down and thats starting to play on my nevres. I can't get anything done. So my question is how do I get him to sleep in the crib? Ive tried putting him in it and sitting in the rocker next to him but he just cries untill I pick him up. Please help!

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 10:42 AM on May. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get things done while he is awake or wear him in a sling while he naps to get things done. What I do with my grandson is hold him on my lap and we watch music videos on the computer for him to fall asleep. Then I hold him and can compute. With my own kids I nursed them to sleep and rested, read, or watched TV.

You don't have to and never should let a child cry it out. How horrible! Children are only small for awhile and there is no reason a child can't be held for naps. It's okay to never use a crib. I never even owned one and I had 3 kids and my 18 mo grandson doesn't have one. Holding a child isn't to make sure they are okay. It's because human babies and toddlers are supposed to be close to others when they sleep.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:52 AM on May. 12, 2010

• maybe it will take a little tough love. try just letting him cry. if hes really tired, he may cry himself to sleep.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 10:45 AM on May. 12, 2010

• your going to have to let him cry it out. Start all over with the training. He obviously isn't use to sleeping in his crib ever. don't sit in there with him just make sure he is o.k.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:46 AM on May. 12, 2010

• How long is ok to let him cry I've let him cry for no longer then maybe 1o mins, I'm scared he's going to hate me!
    Heather10285

Answer by Heather10285 at 10:53 AM on May. 12, 2010

• i always use the 15 minute rule. after 15 minutes go in, rub his head and tell him its okay, stay til he calms, then leave again. increase the time in between each time you go in there. he wont hate you. hell be so relieved you came back he may relax completely and fall asleep
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 10:56 AM on May. 12, 2010